Talk

Advanced search

maternity benefits

(4 Posts)
manna Mon 05-Jan-04 14:19:51

I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my second child, and self employed as a caterer. Obvoiusly, I can't work past a certain point, with such a physical job, and don't expect to work more or less from now until september, at least. My husband is an academic, so mid income.

My question is: what am I entitled to? If I was employed I'd get statutory maternity benefit and time off etc., but what do self employed people do? I've paid all taxes and NI, so must be entitled to something?

At the moment we get a family tax credit and child benefit, but once I stop earning it's going to be quite tight!! Can anyone help?

M2T Mon 05-Jan-04 14:23:23

Manna - I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but I think you are entitled to the SMP too:

90% of you wage for 6 weeks
then £100 per week for 20 weeks.

If not, you may be entitled to Maternity Allowance. Someone will be able to post you a good link with more information than I have given.

Sorry thats not much help! Oops.

Twinkie Mon 05-Jan-04 14:28:23

Message withdrawn

SenoraPostrophe Mon 05-Jan-04 14:33:46

according to this page you are entitled to Maternity allowance (£100 per week for 26 weeks), which is how i understood it too. We self-employed don't get the fancy 90% of wages part.

You need form MA1 from a DSS office or your maternity clinic. You should also get an increase in ftc which will help I guess - remember to get the change in circumstances form too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: