Advanced search

Do any of you 'messing about in boats' types know

(9 Posts)
friendofminniemouse Thu 08-Nov-12 18:26:34

what courses/qualifications a 16/17 year would be able to take to get them on the first step to being able to work at a watersports / outdoor adventure centre.

MardyBra Thu 08-Nov-12 18:27:05

And this is in AIBU because...?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 08-Nov-12 18:35:03

I think a 17 year old is able to do some of the lower level coaching awards, but would probably need to be 18 to work in the field.

If they are able to wait until they are 18 a company like PGL would take them on with no coaching qualifications (although personal proficiency awards would help) and give them some basic qualifications.

Alternatively, there are various college/uni courses in outdoor education which would include gaining qualifications.

They would be advised to work on getting some personal proficiency awards to show motivation and competency. Check out local clubs.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Nov-12 18:39:36

Hi there

This isn't really an AIBU so we've moved it to 'Other subjects'.

TwelveLeggedWalk Thu 08-Nov-12 18:46:11

Speak to UKSA and Rockley Watersports, both offer this kind of training do would be able to help you.

SourMilkGill Thu 08-Nov-12 18:50:40

They should be working their way through their BCU grades (kayaking), SPA (climbing) and such like.

turkeyboots Thu 08-Nov-12 19:11:37

RYA run courses to certify sailors and other watersports.

An a lifeguard certification wouldn't go amiss

SourMilkGill Thu 08-Nov-12 19:18:17

PGL used to be fantastic at this sort of thing. Not sure what they are like these days. If he applies to work the summer holidays with them he will be paid absolute peanuts, but may well end up with his powerboating certificates and a instructors certificate in something.
Have a look for degree courses being run at Charlotte Mason, Ambleside. They may have something suitable.

specialsubject Tue 27-Nov-12 18:21:28

for sailing or windsurfing, they need the relevant RYA instructor tickets. While you can do 'zero to hero' they will be MUCH better instructors if they actually do the sport themselves, and assist in teaching at their local centre.

they also need an up to date first aid certificate (for all the activities) and their powerboat qualification, at least level 2. Oh, and a CRB check but employers will sort that.

jobs pay really badly but are a lot of fun. Work in the UK is almost all about teaching kids. The jobs in the sun teach both adults and kids.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: