Talk

Advanced search

Very rude mothers at school

(19 Posts)
jubileemum Wed 19-Sep-12 18:11:10

Just wanted to share my experience at my DS's school today. My DS joined his school in year2 and is now in year6. I wanted to get to know the other mothers so went to the first coffee morning with the mums from DS's class....but nobody spoke to me! I had to make all the effort and they just spoke amongst themselves... I decided that would be the first and last time I would do that. Nobody has ever made the effort in the playground to make me welcome and speak to me so I have just got on with things as I have other children and have to accept that DS's school will not be a place where I will be increasing my social circle. So while disappointing, I do not loose any sleep over it. However, today I was watching my son play rugby when another new mother came up to me and introduced herself, we were having a very nice conversation when one of the other mothers (who had totally ignored me half an hour earlier) came bouncing over, asking how I was, had I had a good summer etc and then announced she was taking the new mum over to meet the other mothers. OPINIONS PLEASE....have I done something so terrible that not only can I not be spoken to, but I must not be allowed to speak to any new parents either? Or is this women just a prize, ignorant B** . I will never understand how some people can be so rude and before my son went to this school I thought this sort of behaviour was just for the kids, not the parents. May I please just say that I am perfectly normal and other people are usually quite happy to talk to me and I even have some friends!

Japple Thu 20-Sep-12 13:20:12

Well,my husband and I were Appalled to learn of your "Pariah" status.He says
Is it Possible that there is "Something" Written in your child's School Transcript
that "implies" that your child is "Trouble" or that You are "Trouble?". People
Talk, especially those "Educators". Sounds like Somebody has Blabbed and
caused you quite a turn.There is something that you Don't Know.I would make
an appointment with their higher up muckity-Mucks, and get a good Look at
the School Transcript.Luck to you,dear.Jill.

MarthasHarbour Thu 20-Sep-12 13:23:18

confused hmm

RoobyMurray Thu 20-Sep-12 13:26:03

er, that's weird

scoutliam Thu 20-Sep-12 13:27:46

Comedy gold.

Sparklingbrook Thu 20-Sep-12 13:28:46

Um, have we been transported back to Victorian times?

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 20-Sep-12 13:30:38

"bemused"

maudpringle Thu 20-Sep-12 13:30:48

Ahem, moving on......
The other mothers sound like a load of old bitches and I would ignore them completely.
I found dealing with the politics of the playground one of the most stressful parts of my life.
Keep smiling, will get them guessing what you have been up to!

Sparklingbrook Thu 20-Sep-12 13:32:08

I am sure the new Mum will still want to talk to you. The others sound vile. Soon your DS will move on to High School where there is none of this.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 20-Sep-12 13:32:51

Japple you are spouting weirdness all over the boards. Please Desist, Dear.

alienreflux Thu 20-Sep-12 13:33:06

WTAF japple?!! some women are just cows, to answer your question OP!! keep your chin up, and put it down to sheer cowism! would you really want to be friends with them anyway if they are that freaking weird?! must make you hmm though.
there will come a time i'm sure when new parents turn up and don't 'fit' either, make friends with them. good luck.

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 20-Sep-12 13:39:28

It's a very "American" thing to "do".

All this "quoting" marlakey.

TantrumsandBananas Thu 20-Sep-12 13:39:57

Okkkkayyyyyy - loving abit of oddness, brightens up my day no end ....

Anyways, do what you have been doing, I have just started all this marlarky with DD at playgroup. Some of the mums are great, but there is a group of looking down their noses types. I try and get there pretty late so there not too much hanging around, and couple of hellos, and ignore the rest of em.

Playground mafia.

TantrumsandBananas Thu 20-Sep-12 13:41:56

"Anyway" sorry about the "s" !!

Japple Thu 20-Sep-12 17:12:50

...Well,here in America, Wierdness Abounds.Just saying that "Here" it would be
Considered Completely OTT to Treat another Mother with disdain and Disrespect.Most of us would certainly Look Into any Public Records to try to
"Ferret Out" any Mis-reports.If treated in the manner the lady described,my
husband and I would Find the Reason WHY(Maybe it's an "American Thing").

sensesworkingovertime Sun 23-Sep-12 19:42:06

Jubilee, sorry to hear about all this playground shite you have to put up with, it sounds vile, they are vile, just be glad you are not one of them. I have had to put up with similar and have actually done a countdown chart to the end of next July so I can tick off the dates!

Be yourself
Be polite
Rise above
Ignore their childishness
Grit your teeth

If you meet one like -minded mum it will be a godsend, good luck with that.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Thu 18-Oct-12 23:40:54

I must say so far I've been lucky and not encountered this yet, although we're only in year one. All the mums I know are lovely. I have met this sort of person before though and I always find that a cheery disposition and a 'couldn't give a flying fuck what you or anyone else thinks of me' attitude really gets up their noses. Also lets them know that you won't be walked all over at any point, ever. Saves hassle.

Good luck. grin

mrscumberbatch Thu 18-Oct-12 23:44:15

I'm sorry OP as it sounds awful but Japple has given me my first giggle of the night.

I can promise you all I won't be looking into any public records if you diss me wink

Japple, I think Brits are a bit more reserved and are more likely to take it on the chin and go home and stew over it!

Woozley Fri 19-Oct-12 13:50:48

It just sounds like they might not know you very well, if it's the first coffee morning you've been to in 4 years they might be wondering who you are? Did you try and speak to them and they ignored you, or did you sit there waiting for someone to come and talk to you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now