Talk

Advanced search

Adam Ant reunites Andrew Sachs with his granddaughter after that Brand/Ross phone 'prank'

(9 Posts)
edam Sun 14-Aug-11 12:04:05

this is a thoughtful piece

I was always puzzled that the scandal over Jonathan Ross's prank phone call to Andrew Sachs yelling 'he shagged your granddaughter' focused on Sachs as the only victim, ignoring Georgina Bailiie. She didn't ask for her sex life to be splurged all over the front pages.

edam Sun 14-Aug-11 12:05:08

(Well, tbh, disappointed would be better than puzzled - I assume it was misogyny of the 'she wore sexy clothes and called her group the Satanic Sluts, she deserved it' type.)

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 08:42:09

A cynical person may postulate that it has something to do with publicity for his upcoming album.
A less cynical and more trusting person wouldn't.
I fall somewhere between the two poles.
I know she didn't ask for her sex life to be splurged across the front pages, but, TBH, she did very little about stopping it at the time.
We were abroad, but I do remember reading breathless panty pieces about her, which were presumably written with her consent or help.

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 08:42:30

panty, meaning someone panting, not knickers BTW.

PonceyMcPonce Tue 16-Aug-11 08:49:56

Well I don't think anyone cared who slept with brand did they really?
I don't think many grandparents know who their grandchildren sleep with. I think the outrage was mainly at the disrespect shown, by brand and Ross.

Nice to see AA in a good place in terms of his mental health.

DaisySteiner Tue 16-Aug-11 09:00:02

The bit about Brand leaving her a message saying something about her needing to break into her grandparents' house and destroy their answerphone did make me snort into my coffee.

I think it's pretty sad though that Sachs seems to have held some sort of grudge against Georgina when it quite clearly wasn't her fault and seems to have gone through a really tough time when her own parents did little to support her.

Georgimama Tue 16-Aug-11 09:08:29

Reading between the lines it sounds like the breach in the relationship between grandfather and grand daughter wasn't just about the Brand thing - she admits she had been drinking, taking drugs, her parents were splitting up, things were messed up. Their relationship had probably been under strain for some time.

Sounds like she has a good friend in Adam Ant anyway. I wish Adam Ant would decide to be my new best friend.

hocuspontas Tue 16-Aug-11 09:15:57

I didn't know they had fallen out. I would have thought they would have stuck together and presented a united front. Sachs letting her down during a tough time sounds awful (if we believe this article). AA looks good for 56!

edam Tue 16-Aug-11 20:34:28

Yes, it does seem horrible that Sachs seems to have blamed his granddaughter for the horrible mess, rather than Ross and Brand. Nasty. And yes, I'm sure there's an element of publicity-seeking for Adam and Georgina's new tour.

But agree that Adam Ant is a. lovely and b. it's nice to see him looking and sounding well. When he was arrested a while back and was clearly rather ill, I did have a moment of thinking 'ah, he needs the love of a good woman, if only we'd met all those years ago things could have been very different'. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now