Talk

Advanced search

Geocaching questions ...

(5 Posts)
paulapantsdown Tue 19-Jul-11 14:30:37

So, I am looking to getting into this with the kids over the holidays and think I understand what to do, but my question is, do I need to bring little things with me to replace stuff/treasure in the caches that we might find? What are the best things to use for treasure?

ChasingSquirrels Tue 19-Jul-11 14:33:46

depends on the cache, very small ones (nano's) have no room for "treasure" just a log that you sign, but a lot of them are tupperware box size and have various types of treasure. The basic rule is that you leave something of equal or greater value to that which you take. Cracker type toys seem to be usual round here, ds2 had a Monopoly Boot piece out of one, ds1 had a US quarter, one had 20p, sometimes we have just left a marble and not taken anything, sometimes we have left a toy car.

bumpybecky Tue 19-Jul-11 14:34:23

you don't have to take treasure with you, there might not be any there to swap depending on the size of the cache. Only 'rules' are that if you take something you should replace it with something of equal (or greater value)

don't use anything that could get damaged by heat or cold, no food or smelly ( might attract animals)

we've used rubbers (erasers not condoms!) and pencils, also spinning top party bag toys

do you know about geocoins and travel bugs? these are trackable items that might be in a cache. You can't keep these, they need to be moved on to another location (or left where they are)

paulapantsdown Tue 19-Jul-11 14:40:15

ok thats cool - I just need to have a few little things in my pocket incase then?

bumpybecky Tue 19-Jul-11 14:49:19

well it can't hurt to take something with you smile

make sure you've got something to write with too to sign the log book and have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now