Talk

Advanced search

can anybody translate this welsh word please?

(9 Posts)
cadifflur Thu 14-Jul-11 10:13:49

Do you know what ty calonus means? (don't know how to do to bach on computer sorry!) - I know it's house, being 2nd language welsh, but don't know the exact translation of calonus. Diolch.

Nobdie Thu 14-Jul-11 10:23:48

Calon is heart
I don't know that calonus is an actual word though, so I would guess at something like loving house/home being the closest translation

Frostyfoxy Thu 14-Jul-11 10:25:52

Central house - or something like that

Nobdie Thu 14-Jul-11 10:26:50

Central is canol not calon! Similar though

Frostyfoxy Thu 14-Jul-11 10:29:28

Thats sort of why I said something like that Nobdie!! Heart of the house, central house similar no? I must say though you are way more knowledgeable than me - I had to text my welsh speaking MIL to even attempt to reply!! grin

Nobdie Thu 14-Jul-11 10:32:39

Ah yes I see, I don't think there is a literal translation so something along those lines. Someone else may come along in a minute and put us right! smile

LtEveDallas Thu 14-Jul-11 10:35:00

DH thinks it's the Kitchen - 'Heart of the House'

I guessed at House of Love

(DH is the Welsh Speaker though, I'm just a learner!)

Frostyfoxy Thu 14-Jul-11 16:49:27

Apparently it could also mean encouragement - so maybe house of encouragement or something along those lines?

I think this is the reason I gave up trying to learn Welsh - its too confusing for a poor little Essex girl like me!! grin

Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend anyone with that sentence be it Welsh speakers or Essex people!!!

cadifflur Thu 14-Jul-11 20:02:35

thanks all, I guessed at something similar, with the calon part of it! not too wildly out then. much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now