Talk

Advanced search

Social services

(8 Posts)
Hther Wed 29-Jun-11 13:50:40

I have 2 children with special needs and 2 other children, all very young as eldest is 7.

I was referred 2 years ago to SS but all over and done with in just over a week, no further action.

Because of my childrens special needs there are meetings (but not with SS) to make sure they get help they need. I missed alst one as child was ill and i didn't know they were going ahead without me. I found out when i recieved the report from the meeting along with a letter saying i have been referred. They were concerned i was going to home ed my eldest two and i wouldn't manage four children 24 hours a day so they would sffer emotionally.

I don't know exactly when i was referred as there was some time between this metting and the report being sent to me, however, it was at least 7 working days since the latest date it could have been before they even rang me. then they asked to come out the following morning (so less than 24 hours notice). They visited me 2 weeks ago then again last week and at that point was told they would probably do a core assessment "as there's quite a lot going on". I know assessmenst have to be completed within 7 working days of REFERRAL!

The social worker seems to either not listen properly or misinterpret or not remmember things properly. She also asked about domestic violence in frnt of my 6 year old which I idn't feel appropriate, she hadn't been straight with me about what concerns were (apprently I was also referred as my daughter had sensory issues and she and her brother had behavioural problems - even though y eldest stopped being aggressive ages ago and son never been!) She had implied it was just home ed and when I said there must be more to it she said there wasnt so I spoke to her manager who told me the other things. I feel really uncomfortable with her and don't want to see her again and feel really drained by it. I asked for a different social worker they said no-one available

seeminglyso Fri 01-Jul-11 16:28:47

What is your question? Do you just want advice?

RavenVonChaos Fri 01-Jul-11 16:57:22

ask for a copy of complaints process and list the things. It will go to corporate complaints team who will make sure they address it.
Hope this helps

CQrrrneee Fri 01-Jul-11 17:02:04

so LEA have referred yoo to SS because you want to home ed shock

CQrrrneee Fri 01-Jul-11 17:02:14

<you> sorry

seeminglyso Fri 01-Jul-11 18:42:02

''so LEA have referred yoo to SS because you want to home ed ''

clearly not!Core Assessments are not carried out because people want to home school..they take up months of work and time..clearly there are child protection issues.

OP your Inital Assessment probably has been completed but you havent received a copy yet, that is all.

CQrrrneee Fri 01-Jul-11 18:49:54

seemingly so - I'm just responding to the OP.I don't know anything about how SS work or about core assessments etc, but the OP implied (to me) that the cause for concern was home edding.

Hther Fri 01-Jul-11 19:07:28

i am making a complaint, doubt it will go anywhere though, i made a complaint about the people who were saying things leading up to the referral that weren't correct and they didn't do much about it.

a core assessment takes 35 days from the decision to do a core assessment. They don't seem to be telling anything though. last time i mentioned it they hadnt completed their intial assessment. Last time social worker came out she said she said she would PROBABLY do a core assessment, i dont know if she has already started it even though she hasn't told me this cos.

originally i was told i was referred cos of home ed, when i said i felt there was something she wasnt telling me, she said there wasn't so i asked her manager who said it wasn't just home ed, there were concerns about my children's behaviour, and also concerns as my eldest had sensory issues which made her refuse to dress in the morning. The dressing thing hasn't been an issue for months, the behaviour had been mentioned in the meeting about their special needs - my elldest was aggressive and my eldest son was starting this too (when my eldest hasn't een aggressive for months and my son has never been!)

I'm just really confused y everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now