Talk

Advanced search

Good venues in London for a 40th birthday??????

(62 Posts)
CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 22:43:13

Can anyone help? We would like some dancing, some food, etc. Something fun. Anyone been to anything good? We have some ideas but would like more

TIA

spookylucy Thu 27-Oct-05 22:45:13

I had a great night out at Madame jojos, although it maybe a bit passe these days.

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 22:46:22

oh no, about 150 people need a private venue

haven't been to jojos since about 1986!

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 22:56:12

the conservatory at ransomes dock - excellent. cool huge rooftop conservatory overlooking the thames, you feel on top of the world, 150 a good number for there (fewer than 100 and it would feel a bit empty)...

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 22:57:22

here it is!

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 22:57:34

Yes I have eaten there, good idea. Will check out.

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 22:58:20

oh poo. try again

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 22:59:12

oh actually it says up to 100, might be too small. but if you invite 150 you'll only get about 120 and they won't all be there at once - should be fine!

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 22:59:52

blimey is that right they do dinner for 50 people for £600? Sounds way too cheap to me!

spookylucy Thu 27-Oct-05 22:59:53

Oh god just realised that the last time i was there was 1990. Where have the last 15 years gone ?

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:00:26

we rather fancied mad disco sort of thing but if there we could nip over the river to a club later

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:00:35

bloody hell they don't charge corkage, no wonder I've been to so many parties there, bargain!

looks rather good if I say so myself. I'll shut up now

spookylucy Thu 27-Oct-05 23:00:55

sounds very cheap, perhaps they charge alot for the plonk!

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:01:06

uh CD, that doesn't include the food, that is the room charge I think!

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:01:53

oh i realised that still sounds vgvalue
amazing re the corkage!

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:02:04

those fees are for the venue. you bring in caterers and booze. but no corkage is fantastic, most london venues charge at least £5 per bottle (£8 per bottle of fizzy) which REALLY racks up your costs

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:02:38

no no I mean room charge, then for £600 they will do sit down dinner for 50. That can't be right can it?

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:04:00

no, surely not.

I'm paying caterers £12 per head to come and do canapes for 80 at my house for gods sake!

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:06:26

Well it looks fab anyway, I looked at this the other week and it is £800 for the night, you have to have their vile wine and use their caterers and tbh is not much nicer than a church hall apart from the lovely view and balcony. Your one looks much nicer

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:08:41

nah dead boring.
the conservatory is really magical lit up at night, I haven't been to a bad party there. And the high roof means that it always feels airy and not smelly or smoky etc no matter how many people are there or what they are doing.

I'm still bowled over by corkage. There is a majestic right there too, you could probably get them to deliver straight upstairs on the night!

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:08:44

also I love things under glass we had our wedding reception here so would be continuing the theme!

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:10:55

am going to scuttle up the stairs with my vaio now and suggest to dh!

can you have music?

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:10:56

beautiful! perfect, then. Klearly Karma

And ransomes dock is v convenient for everyone really, west londoners or south londoners (I'm assuming no north londoners will be invited )

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:11:28

I think you can have anything, you just hire the venue, glasses, cleanup etc and then the world's your lobster

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:11:35

no of course not in fact only people from my postcode if i have my way

You will have to come as proposer of venue and all round fab bird

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:11:54

I don't like that C word

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:14:19

oooh yes please.

try not to schedule it for 22 Jan, tho

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:14:26

how am i going to whittle guest list down to 100 though? Family will have to be NFI I think

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:14:38

no next sept

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:17:18

god Imight even be vaguely thin again by next sept, hurrah. something to aim for!

no, talk to them about numbers, ask what the limit is on their fire licence. It will be more than 100. If you are doing a drinks party then assume no more than 75% of your acceptees will be in the room at the same time (some will arrive early and leave for another appt, some will arrive very late etc). And no matter how much everyone loves you, assume that 15%-20% of invitees can't come. So I'd say inviting 150 was safe.

princesspeahead Thu 27-Oct-05 23:17:21

god Imight even be vaguely thin again by next sept, hurrah. something to aim for!

no, talk to them about numbers, ask what the limit is on their fire licence. It will be more than 100. If you are doing a drinks party then assume no more than 75% of your acceptees will be in the room at the same time (some will arrive early and leave for another appt, some will arrive very late etc). And no matter how much everyone loves you, assume that 15%-20% of invitees can't come. So I'd say inviting 150 was safe.

CountessDracula Thu 27-Oct-05 23:23:05

I had to wake him up but he seems well up for it despite the disco ban

Now we just need to find an amenable club to take the late overspill....

HURRAH for PPH

Hope it is free next sept

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 10:11:11

bump

still open to suggestions

binkie Fri 28-Oct-05 10:47:40

CD, we had our wedding reception in Dartmouth House in Mayfair (it's the English Speaking Union, so sounds deeply worthy and dreary, but brilliantly central, the building's beautiful and the catering is Leith's). We didn't do dancing though, so not sure about that. We had LOADS of people, must have been over 200, swilling around drinking and canaping.

Went to a blinding 40th at a place down near the Embankment - think it was originally built to be a Sainsburys house, now owned by a charity. Let me know if you want me to find out more, but it was probably v expensive.

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 10:55:12

ooh yes please

That looks gorgeous, where you got married!

binkie Fri 28-Oct-05 11:02:33

have asked clever dh who remembers these things - it was Two Temple Place

But I've just had a look - you have to lay your own dancefloor!!!

foxinsocks Fri 28-Oct-05 11:07:02

I don't know what your budget is but we went to a fantastic 40th party in Holland Park (with catering and a disco). The bloke who was 40 was a city banker though so I imagine the budget was not something he was terribly worried about (it was in the Belvedere).

I know you can hire the Orangery in Holland Park. It's beautiful (and much cheaper than the Belvedere) but I have a feeling you can't stay past midnight.

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 11:17:05

Yes that's a good idea, about the same price as the Battersea one but would have better selection of clubs etc for afterwards maybe?

Not fussed about it finishing early as we are going to book a guest list somewhere for later

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 11:17:43

Binkie that looks a bit posh for a 40th maybe? but stunning!

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 12:10:58

anyone been to a party here?

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 18:54:03

bumpity bump

soapbox Fri 28-Oct-05 19:11:14

Would Belair House in Dulwich be too far away for you. It is lovely.

I found it frustrating finding something too and so ended up with a marquee in the garden which was wonderful.

How about Kensington Roof Gardens?

Top table has a function searching facility which is good for ideas, as does Confetti - the wedding site.

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 19:28:00

Yes we could do here but live in a residential area with lots of families so would feel bad about making noise late. (god you can tell I'm approaching 40 it never bothered me in the past!)

Roof Gardens too big really tho I do like them.

DH is saying that we really wanted a big piss-up disco and obv the conservatory one is not going to be that. The Amadeus Centre looks the best bet so far for the disco option.

I on the other hand am starting to think that it would be nice to have the posh do first then all those really up for it could go dancing afterwards.

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 19:31:02

Belair House is now Beauberry House and is a japanese restaurant!

foxinsocks Fri 28-Oct-05 19:50:38

only other one I can think of (at the mo) is the Troubadour but it is much more of a club I suppose. It says about hiring at the bottom - it does do lovely food though.

princesspeahead Fri 28-Oct-05 20:01:19

cd if you want to do anything at the troubadour, give me a ring first. BIG peahead connection with the troub....! Glad you like it foxinsocks, go spend lots and lots of money there .
there is a nice room on the first floor but not nearly big enough for your needs. the basement is big enough, but more of a club/live music venue... we could sort you out an excellent band or something if you wanted to say goodbye to your 30s in style...

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 21:44:15

hmmm looks intersting is it right by the Colherne? May go and check it out, thanks fox & PPH.

Current thinking is to hire a blank canvas and do it out fabulously...

princesspeahead Fri 28-Oct-05 21:48:57

cd if you are going to check it out then tell me when.... oh bugger it i'll just send you an email

Milliways Fri 28-Oct-05 21:51:16

You lot are making me feel guilty as DH is having his 40th party here, at home! We are having a Pudding Party!

bossykate Fri 28-Oct-05 21:54:07

think the ransome's dock conservatory is an excellent idea. nearer you - what about kew? alternatively, the pump house in battersea park might be worth considering? or how about the chelsea physic garden... depends on the season i suppose.

princesspeahead Fri 28-Oct-05 21:55:41

emailed you cd

bossykate Fri 28-Oct-05 22:06:16

sorry, why wouldn't the conservatory option be a big piss-up disco? perhaps yr wedding was more civilised than mine!

bossykate Fri 28-Oct-05 22:08:36

maybe one of these?

bossykate Fri 28-Oct-05 22:08:51

or why not syon park again?

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 22:21:23

Because they don't have a dancing licence and you can only have quiet music

gits

Conservatory a LOT more expensive than when we got married, can't afford for a bday party. Also we are saving it for 25th wedding anniversary (do you think if I booked 15 years in advance they would give me today's rate [wink})

CountessDracula Fri 28-Oct-05 22:23:36

Don't want anything too weddingy - Templeton I thought of as is just up the rd from where I live (with the added option of checking inot the priory next door if you overdo it!) but it's too too weddingy

bossykate Fri 28-Oct-05 22:26:29

well where are you working atm? would somewhere more city-ish be better?

bossykate Fri 28-Oct-05 22:26:54

how about damario's

Toots Mon 30-Oct-06 22:37:30

Hi, reading this with interest. Would love any further ideas. 40th looms in February on a Sunday which is when I'd want the do.

Going to go and look at Damarios now...

Troubadour looks nice. Want somewhere central or south London (Live in SE26) scruffy is fine. Funky is good. Dancing is a possibility but thinking chiefly of relaxed mingly ambience. Might look upstairs at East Dulwich Tavern.

Pretty tight budget... ought to be anyway, kitchen needs doing.

Toots Tue 31-Oct-06 14:34:43

Bumping if you please.
Oh and couldn't find damarios...

Toots Wed 01-Nov-06 18:27:26

Anyone?

Yells Wed 17-Jul-19 15:15:31

Check rowans-cafebar.co.uk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »