Talk

Advanced search

I keep waking at about 4 or 5 am and can't sleep - any ideas ?!

(14 Posts)
binker Fri 19-Sep-03 11:13:15

I've posted on another thread about my various anxieties and as usual Mumsnetters have been a huge help - I'm now finding myself waking up at about 4 or 5 in the morning and being unable to get back to sleep because my mind is churning stuff around - does anyone know of any good remedies ? I get to sleep ok as I'm usually knackered, it's just the waking up (and it's sooo dark and unfriendly at that time in the morning which doesn't help). Forgive me for being self indulgent in my postings - I feel as though I've been asking for advice a lot and not helping anyone else with their difficulties !

codswallop Fri 19-Sep-03 11:14:44

My dh always tells me to think of nice thingss - lying on abeach or Our sons or whatever and it annoys me that it works.

EmmaTMG Fri 19-Sep-03 11:16:45

My DH went to work at 4am this morning and I couldn't get back to sleep. I gave up at about 5am and put the TV on.......I was asleep again by 5:30am so when the alarm goes off that early again I'll try the TV as a sedative much sooner.

Maybe this could work for you too.

FairyMum Fri 19-Sep-03 11:19:55

Don't now if you drink in the evenings, but I find that even if I have only one glass of wine in the evening, I will often wake around 4-5. I am restless and start worrying about all sorts of things. I have now stopped drinking completely and don't have the problem anymore.

wiltshire Fri 19-Sep-03 12:16:24

You are lucky, my problems' the other way round. I couldn't get to sleep until 5am

bluecow Fri 19-Sep-03 21:27:47

Apart from the obvious stuff like avoiding caffeine, the weirdest tip I ever heard (but it works for me) is to keep your eyes open. After a while you do feel like you want to shut them for a nap!

forestfly Fri 19-Sep-03 21:29:55

I play on my gamecube(yes mine) or play a game on my mobile which i keep by my bed, it really really works

jedy Fri 19-Sep-03 23:02:47

i don't stay in bed fighting for sleep- get up and read book. feel sleepy again much sooner

emwi Fri 19-Sep-03 23:07:09

This is a sign of depression, perhaps you should speak to your doctor.

CountessDracula Fri 19-Sep-03 23:15:31

Take a piriton tablet. Old fashioned antihistamine which makes you sleepy for hours, I take one if I really need to have a lie in as I wake early otherwise.

robinw Sat 20-Sep-03 03:13:20

message withdrawn

2under2 Sat 20-Sep-03 08:14:57

binker, I've found 'white horse chestnut' flower remedy from Holland & Barrett helpful when you get the 'insommnia because you need to think about all life's problems right now' type-of-thing.

binker Sat 20-Sep-03 13:40:39

gosh, what a lot of ideas - will look out for 2under2's white horse chestnut remedy and maybe try the piriton - though will I then not be able to wake up when I should ? I'd hate to feel any more tired during the day than I already do !
Poor Wiltshire - at least I get to sleep in the first place !

runragged Sat 20-Sep-03 20:01:39

Nyto1 - it's marvellous stuff!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: