Talk

Advanced search

Milton Keynes: the good, The bad and The Ugky

(19 Posts)
popserinis Sun 09-Jan-11 22:39:58

Hi,

I am relocating from Scotland and considering the MK area. Anyone got any constructive views i should consider before making the move?

GypsyMoth Sun 09-Jan-11 22:42:46

i moved here....just outside mk.....7 years ago,and love it!!

lots to do. lovely parks etc. good shopping.

can't fault it really.

popserinis Sun 09-Jan-11 22:45:36

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Can you recommend any good areas to start the search?

KateF Sun 09-Jan-11 22:45:59

I live near MK and go there for the theatre which is excellent and shopping when dh makes me (I hate shopping). It has good leisure facilities but I believe the schools in some parts are not great. Good rail limk to Euston which is why we live here although we are a couple of stops further towards London.

KangarooCaught Sun 09-Jan-11 22:47:32

The traditional villages outside it can be really lovely. The shopping is useful and there are some nice parks. MK itself <shudder> If you have dcs, choose area carefully, some of the schools are dire.

Katisha Sun 09-Jan-11 22:48:44

Have a look at Leighton Buzzard. Nice market town, decent schools. 15 mins from MK if you really want to go shopping, but like Kate I try to avoid it...

bumpybecky Sun 09-Jan-11 22:53:34

We live outside MK, also a couple of stops down on the train line [wonders if I know Kate F!]

DH works in Knowlhill and has colleagues living in Two Mile Ash, Monkston, Shenley Brook End and Caldecot, all of whom like where they live
He says to avoid Fishermead.

Shopping is good if you like big stores - there's not many individual shops in the main centre, just big chains. Theatre, leisure and dining is all very good

popserinis Sun 09-Jan-11 22:56:26

Thanks for this, it's so difficult to find a starting place when moving so far away and not knowing anyone to ask. Much appreciated

KateF Mon 10-Jan-11 11:55:10

Bumpybecky - having looked at your profile I might know you. I live in LB, have 3dds and used to work at a church pre-school.

bumpybecky Mon 10-Jan-11 12:32:01

Kate, do I know you as Catherine? and was it our dd3's preschool? if so I think I know who you are too!

KateF Mon 10-Jan-11 14:57:20

Yes grin I've never had this happen before! Better watch what I say from now on although I'm never exactly controversial.

bumpybecky Mon 10-Jan-11 15:13:28

lol! that's you and Katisha watching me then shock

Better learn how to spell then and punctuate and master the basics of grammar...

Katisha Mon 10-Jan-11 17:28:58

Yes because I is a pedant!

I am also busy trying to get the whole of MN to move to LB!

bumpybecky Mon 10-Jan-11 18:05:18

excellent plan

let me know if you convince anyone, our house will hopefully be on the market in a couple of months. Will offer discount for MNers!

piprabbit Mon 10-Jan-11 18:10:03

How rural do you want to go?
There are some very pretty, tiny villages out there - Castlethorpe for example.

Katisha Mon 10-Jan-11 18:52:57

You're not moving away I hope BB, because that doesn't fit in with my Grand Plan!

bumpybecky Mon 10-Jan-11 22:22:26

[hangs head in shame]

sorry! we're moving away if we can find someone to my Bumpy Towers. Just need to declutter and decorate a bit first

sorry popserinis I seem to have totally hijacked your thread now Leighton Buzzard is lovely, but is does seem that everyone knows everyone else!

bumpybecky Mon 10-Jan-11 22:28:38

to buy Bumpy Towers blush

differentnameforthis Tue 11-Jan-11 02:55:07

I used to live in Linslade, which is in LB. Loved it. Miss it so much. Still be there if not for move to Oz. Nicer then MK too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now