Talk

Advanced search

claiming on house insurance for new flooring

(6 Posts)
queenofpuddings Sat 08-Jan-11 19:37:34

hi not sure if this is in the right category but I am hping someone can help.

our living room carpet was flooded due to biurst pipes from washing machine is ruined and had to be thrown out.

the insurance assessor is com,ing out and bringing carpet samples wth him. my dh and i are now thinking of channging it to a softwood floor that can be painted , does any one know if we have to have carpet again?

i am a bit worried they think it might be a fraudulent claim if we say we don't want carpet again.

has anyone been through this

many thanks

whomovedmychocolate Sat 08-Jan-11 19:40:53

Depends on your policy. If it is a like for like policy they will say it's their carpet, from their agreed supplier, or nothing (they will have negotiated heavy discounts). If it's a new for old policy you may be able to ask. They can only say no. They won't think it's a fraudulent claim unless for example you said 'the new carpet costs £200 - please can we have £800 to put down solid oak flooring instead?'

queenofpuddings Sat 08-Jan-11 20:08:46

thanks for that will check my policy

queenofpuddings Sat 08-Jan-11 20:18:26

have looked at policy summary can't find mention of it except to say under contents you have to pay to see paragraph c

whomovedmychocolate Sat 08-Jan-11 22:33:47

Well that's helpful hmm wink

I would just ask them.

Shhhh Sun 09-Jan-11 21:16:11

In our case the claim assesors can out and saw that we had a claim, they also measured the area to be refloored (?) and gave us a figure as to what they would pay for the total claim.

In our case we went from slate flooring to karndean floor and our insurance company where fine with it.

I just had to find flooring that fell into the price bracket.
IN FACT.. Im sure that I had to dispute their payout as it seemed a bit less than what we expected. I also had to provided proof of what it would cost to lay the flooring we had previously.

In our experience we didn't need to go with the same flooring as before and we were paid direct from insurance so they would have been none the wiser as to what we had opted for in the end iykwim.

The quotes we received though we had to submit to the insurance company.

BUT like whomoved suggested.. maybe best to call your insurance company.

I would call then and just say the flooring wasn't practical as you have noted from the flooding so want something more hardwearing. Shouldn't be a problem imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now