Talk

Advanced search

Why do people go to the cinema carrying piles of food as though they will never eat ever again?

(12 Posts)
nappyaddict Sun 21-Nov-10 23:24:33

IT'S TWO HOURS FFS YOU WILL NOT KEEL OVER AND DIE OF STARVATION!!!

I mean I'm not going to say I always go in empty handed but the most I have is a small drink and maybe a bag of chocolate buttons or malteasers. If I ate any more than that in such a short period of time I'd be sick! I'm not kidding I saw a girl today with a huge drink that must have been bigger than a 2 litre bottle of pop, a tub of popcorn bigger than my head, something pretending to be nachos which was actually tortilla crisps and plasticky looking cheese sauce, a ben and jerrys 3 scoop ice cream sundae with cream on top, some jelly babies and a bag of minstrels. At first I thought oh she must be sharing with her friend but no her friend sat down with almost as much.

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 21-Nov-10 23:33:16

I couldn't afford to buy that much for our DD. I took her to see despicable me last weekend, it cost me about 30 euros for the two of us shock [doesn't go out much] wink

Bumperlicious Sun 21-Nov-10 23:34:15

I don't know. But for some reason I can't contemplate a 2 plus hour car or train journey without some snacks, despite being able to go that long perfectly fine usually.

ladysybil Sun 21-Nov-10 23:36:55

its all part of the fun of the cinema, the food.

nappyaddict Mon 22-Nov-10 17:04:54

I guess it's cos I'm not into snacky food maybe? I'd probably quite like it if I could have a little table and have a nice steak dinner whilst I watched the film!

FairyArmadillo Mon 22-Nov-10 17:14:50

I don't because I can't afford it! Cheapskate here buys butterkist popcorn in Sainsbury and sneaks it in. If I'm feeling flush I'll buy some Ben & Jerrys.

nappyaddict Mon 22-Nov-10 17:34:36

I take a tub of B&J ice cream with me sometimes if I can share it instead of the packet of chocolate. It's just the nice soft consistency by the time we sit down to the film (cinema only 10-15 mins drive away)

BlockedPoster Mon 22-Nov-10 17:37:47

These are the same people who fill 3 trolleys of food before every bank holiday in case the shops forget to open ever again.

And I think the name for them is 'rich fuckers' - by the time you've bought a drink and a tub of popcorn you've spent at least another fiver.

Do you suppose it's so people can pig out in the dark where no one can see them?

FairyArmadillo Mon 22-Nov-10 17:42:33

I once went to the cinema with a snack happy friend who offered to split the price and share a jumbo tub of popcorn. You know the huge ones that just about cost a fiver. She bought other things too (huge drink, pick and mix etc). I was in shock at how I had to compete for the few morsels I managed to grab during her feeding frenzy. She may as well have funnelled it in. Either she had been starving for days or she liked secretly pigging out in the dark and forgot she was sharing!

tb Sun 12-Dec-10 15:27:19

I find myself shocked, too. Gone are the days when there was another film before the main one, and in the interval, you queued up for a small tub of ice-cream that you ate with a plastic spoon.

When we took dd to see Beauty and the Beast at the Palace Theatre in Manchester it was horrible at the end seeing all the rubbish on the floor between the rows of seats. Must cost them a fortune to clear up, too,

jalopy Mon 13-Dec-10 21:32:32

Agree.

I'm always surprised to see small children with large buckets of popcorn....each. Coupled with the oversized drinks...each.

defineme Mon 13-Dec-10 21:35:10

I always assummed those people hadn't had their tea? Maybe I'm just naive....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now