Talk

Advanced search

When do you think is the best time to move out/in/get married?

(12 Posts)
nappyaddict Wed 17-Nov-10 03:55:42

My youngest friend moved out of her parents' at 19 and 8 months (not including friends who had children young) and at the other end of the spectrum my boyfriend is 27 and 1 month and hopes to move out sometime after the New Year.

My one friend moved in with her DP after they were together for 5 months and they are now happily married with a 2 year old. Other friends have waited years.

With marriage I think you need to have been with someone 3 years before you think about marriage. I think it's still sort of a honeymoon period before then. Same with getting married young. I sort of think you shouldn't get married before 23 because you just change so much in your late teens/early 20s.

frakkinup Wed 17-Nov-10 05:59:43

Well I married at 23 after just under 2 years with DH - my hand was forced by his employer though as I couldn't have followed overseas without doing so. We had planned to wait until I would have been 24 and 2,5 years together.

I left home at 18 to work, then go to university if that has any relevance grin

Some people mature early - my DSis is 21 and I know she won't be anything like me marrying early but I wanted to marry/have kids young and she doesn't. She moved out at 20. My brother probably won't move out until my parents change the locks!

nappyaddict Wed 17-Nov-10 11:57:06

Oh yes meant to say also not including friends who went away to uni or college because they all used to live with their parents in the holidays.

frakkinup Is your DH older than you? Most people I know who married early have older partners.

AMumInScotland Wed 17-Nov-10 12:31:02

I moved out at 22 - but after 5 years of university so I hadn't been "home" that much for a while.

And I married at 25 - after DH and I had been together for about 8 months! 19 years and still going strong...

I think it just depends on the people - if you are both "on the same page" and know what you want out of a relationship, then it can work out fine after a short time together. When you're younger, or maybe one or both of you isn't ready to settle down, then its different.

MollysChambers Wed 17-Nov-10 12:34:20

I got married at 21. DH was 24. That was thirteen years ago. Entirely depends on the people involved and the circumstances.

beebuzzer Wed 17-Nov-10 12:35:07

I moved out at 23 (but was at uni before that)and got married at 29. I did lots of things and traveled alot in the following years which I am really grateful for.

I think I got married at the right time. I wasnt ready before that.
I don't agree with the 3 years though. Me and my husband were only together about 6 months before we started talking marriage but then he was older too (37) so I guess we were both thinking about settling down.

frakkinup Wed 17-Nov-10 12:40:53

He's only older by a year.

I never went home for vacations - I had a house rented in the town where I was at uni and a job!

nappyaddict Wed 17-Nov-10 13:38:56

Did you go to uni overseas or was it after uni you moved?

Twilightfan1 Wed 17-Nov-10 13:52:10

I left home when I was about 20, in 2000, but only because I had a flat connected to work, hence it was cheap!!. Gave me independence until I met my dh2b in 2005. Was only with him for 6 months before I asked him to move in with me. Got engaged easter 2006, married the following year, 6 months later had our dd. Now ttc no.2

I don't regret any of it, although my brothers ex wife thought I was pregnant when we announced we were engaged.

Twilightfan1 Wed 17-Nov-10 13:54:26

Oh, and my dh is only 7 years older than me

frakkinup Wed 17-Nov-10 13:55:13

I went to uni in the UK, then moved to Belgium and France before getting married to follow DH here.

lillybloom Sat 20-Nov-10 08:56:21

I moved out for uni at 18 but I did go home for summers as it was easier to get a summer job in my home town. I moved out properly when I got married at 24.we had bought the flat 6 months before the wedding but DH lived in it to decorate for me moving in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now