Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed from mums and dads with a ds....

(19 Posts)
teabelly Mon 22-Aug-05 09:07:36

My wonderful DS (aged just 3) has recently discovered his lifelong 'friend' in earnest

Although he's been aware of his willy (known as winky in our house) in the past, it is only very recently that 'he' has been so exposed and openly talked about and played with . We have been greeted with such wonderful phrases as [an occassion when winky was excited for one of the first times] 'Mummy, it feels wrong I think it's broken, can Daddy buy me a new one when he comes home?'. We now no longer believe it is broken bless but are very aware that at certain times it feels very nice when touched!

DH tells me (with insider knowledge) that if I pay attention to it and tell him to leave it alone he will play with it all the more, on the otherhand he says if I ignore it he'll play with it all the more!

Having only had nieces to contend with, this is all new to me, and I just wanted advice from the great MN public as to the correct etiquette in dealing with these situations so that in future years I don't have a DS visiting a shrink because of what his inept mother said to him when he was little

tia

stacijc Mon 22-Aug-05 09:10:22

read in super nany(or baby whispere or somewhere) that if he does it in public you should say in a neutral voice...maybe you should do that in your room at home...

dunno if that works but i'm dreading having to say it to my ds who has just started to ahem fiddle

stacijc Mon 22-Aug-05 09:10:32

read in super nany(or baby whispere or somewhere) that if he does it in public you should say in a neutral voice...maybe you should do that in your room at home...

dunno if that works but i'm dreading having to say it to my ds who has just started to ahem fiddle

stacijc Mon 22-Aug-05 09:10:44

mumtosomeone Mon 22-Aug-05 09:12:21

ignore him!
it soon stops...well actually it doesnt!! look at dh does he still fiddle!!!!

stacijc Mon 22-Aug-05 09:17:25

whoops many posts sorry

troutpout Mon 22-Aug-05 09:56:36

It doesn't go away...they just learn to fiddle at more discreet moments as they get older....

For some reason a willy/ no pants/ pj's/and storytimes are a particularly bad combination.

HappyMumof2 Mon 22-Aug-05 10:03:39

Message withdrawn

teabelly Mon 22-Aug-05 10:04:23

LOL Trout - have recently discovered this combo too!

Twiglett Mon 22-Aug-05 10:23:11

teach him about privacy and encourage him to only do it in his room

'some things are for private'

spacecadet Mon 22-Aug-05 10:33:23

my older ds now 11 has never really bothered, well not in public!, but ds2 aged 4 seems to delight in getting his out at every avaliable oppurtunity and fiddling with it! i have taken to telling him that a bird will think its a wiggly worm and come and peck it off!, seriously though, i just tell him, that its not something you do in public and it seems to be working, if he does it in the house, i ignore him.

teabelly Mon 22-Aug-05 11:09:09

Thanks for the answers so far...

For the moment we seem to be lucky in that it has not been a public event yet...although he did delight in asking the lady at the checkout in Morrissons yesterday if she has a 'winky and balls?'. When the response was a rather shocked 'no', he then started on his other great passion...a series of WHY questions

Mum2girls Mon 22-Aug-05 11:12:17

Just looked at this thread out of nosiness - how funny!!

Fiddling is definitely not confined to boys however, often find DDs with a dreamy trance-like expression with their hands down their jimjams!

teabelly Mon 22-Aug-05 11:18:47

Arrhhh! mum2girls, nooo - I just had a DD 11+ weeks ago - now I'm going to have to deal with this twice over!

DaddyCool Mon 22-Aug-05 12:38:49

we never stop doing this.

teabelly Mon 22-Aug-05 13:17:38

Daddycool - that's what my DH says and <<looks round furtively>> I believe him

DaddyCool Mon 22-Aug-05 13:23:49

ds plays with his so intensely it makes my eyes water just seeing it. the things he does to that poor little thing, it's a miracle he still has one. i hate it. i tell him to stop but then he just smiles and abuses it even more!

teabelly Mon 22-Aug-05 14:12:25

ROFL - I had a friend who's little boy put the end of his on the sofa, put his hand on it to hold it in place then stepped backwards as far as he could go...when asked what he was doing he replied 'seeing how long it will get, xxx said it can grow!'

Tommy Mon 22-Aug-05 14:57:30

my DS2 has just discovered that it feels really nice if he puts his snuggly cloth on his.....

DS1 spends most of his time with his hands down his trousers - sometimes he pokes his willy out of the top and thinks it's hilarious...

I tell him that he mihgt make it sore - in fact it did once - he fiddld so much that he pushed his foreskin back and I had to sort him out - ouch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now