Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Design ideas for my lounge please

(15 Posts)
jampots Sat 20-Aug-05 23:00:24

My lounge is a strange room. It is extended (by previous owners) and is basically like 2 rectangles stuck together with an arch (I know - horrific) in the middle. One rectangle measures 11'6 long and about 10'6 wide the other measures 11'6 long and about 8' wide so all in all about 23' long. The door from hall is on a "long" wall but at the end of the room then along hte same wall we have a door leading to the kitchen but about 8' down from the other end of the room. I want the walls painted not papered and would like wood floor. Havent got a clue what to do with regard to furniture (would like new) or tv (once again, tv too big for the room so may invest in plasma wall hung). Any ideas from stylish people please

Tinker Sat 20-Aug-05 23:13:08

Can you get the arch squared off? Much more "contemporary" looking Paint walls on shorter ends different colour/tone to longer walls if want to shorten room. Budget re furniture? What do you need to get?

Tinker Sat 20-Aug-05 23:13:44

PS I'm not stylish though

steffee Sat 20-Aug-05 23:23:00

My living room sounds the same (only without the arch), but where you describe your kitchen door as being, we have a little passage with the bathroom and under-stairs cupboard leading off. It drives me mad, as the two 'rectangles' are not inline with each other, the fireplace bit comes out and the opposite side is 'in' so it's like two rectangles but not exactly in line... anyway, we have a white dado rail going all the way around the room(s) with coffee colour paint on bottom, and cream on top, which only works cause we've got a bright red three-piece. And 32" tv crammed into the corner at the front, on the other side of the fireplace, taking up a foot of window space.

ghost Sat 20-Aug-05 23:39:42

you could make the most of have two area have one for tc watching corner unit tv, or two sofas opposite each and the second are a couple of of comfortable chairs and nice shelving / stereo space. this would probably work with either modern or traditional style furniture. if you have some of the same accent colours in both area it will help detract from the two retangle look. Some times helps to pick a peice of furniture or colour scheme that you like and look for things that work with that.

ghost Sat 20-Aug-05 23:40:22

should say tv not tc! doh!

CountessDracula Sat 20-Aug-05 23:59:56

Can you knock the kitchen and dining room bit into one and then partition off a living room bit? Or just have the whole lot as one? Open plan much nicer IMO than lots of small rooms.

Failing that get rid of arches, get rid of any clutter, live without furniture as much as poss and just buy nice bits as you see them on ebay or from second hand shops and tart them up, or new stuff of course. Get a few interesting bits rather than lots of samey stuff, and for storage get mdf stuff built in flush with chimney breasts etc as is much less obtrusive

Paint everything white and have lots of colour from pictures etc on the walls. Wood floors and a rug or two, but not really light wood. If your house is old then don't go for that laminate or little wood strip as looks wrong, go for wider planks.

CountessDracula Sun 21-Aug-05 00:00:22

oh and get rid of arch.

jampots Sun 21-Aug-05 00:04:40

CD - I HATE that arch with a passion but it was previously load bearing wall and consequently has 2 RSJ's inside which would mean the drop down in the ceiling would still be there.

We have a separate dining room so no need for dining furniture in that room, also we demolished the chimney breast which was 4' wide by about 3' deep

CountessDracula Sun 21-Aug-05 00:06:04

Doesn't matter, just square it off

Honestly arches are a no-no

jampots Sun 21-Aug-05 00:06:11

knocking the wall down would mean serious construction work and to be honest I want to sell within the year so cant justify it. I just need to work out what furniture and where to put it along with nice contemporary but classic colour scheme

CountessDracula Sun 21-Aug-05 00:07:02

How about getting a piano and making little bit into a music room? Ie the 8 foot wide bit.

jampots Sun 21-Aug-05 00:08:15

to make everything worse we also have patio doors - oh no not french doors which are nice - hideous patio doors which are at the 8' end of the room so only exit to back garden (and patio obviously)

jampots Sun 21-Aug-05 00:08:36

i may go take some photos actually

ghost Sun 21-Aug-05 00:20:43

one of those modern chairs that is a cross between a lounger and an armchair in front of them might detract from the patio doors. keep the furniture low in the the smaller end and it will give the feeling of more space

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now