Talk

Advanced search

Fancy Dress ideas for adults please

(14 Posts)
madmarchhare Sat 20-Aug-05 14:32:53

Its a 30th birthday party and there are prizes to be had, not that Im competitive or owt!! . Funny would be good (so I thought of you lot).

fisil Sat 20-Aug-05 14:37:08

is there a theme?

madmarchhare Sat 20-Aug-05 14:38:25

No, thats the thing, there usually is (we have a lot of these), but this time its a free for all and its left me stumped.

fisil Sat 20-Aug-05 14:40:10

could you do a play on your name, or on where you live, or on how you know your friend? The best "funny" fancy dress costumes are when you subvert the theme - so I guess without a theme, something about yourself?

fisil Sat 20-Aug-05 14:41:47

for example:

I knew someone who lived at Turnham Green in London who went to fancy dress with a couple of cans of green spray paint

When we lived at no. 7 dp went to a fancy dress party in no. 7 makeup! (and he enjoyed it!)

teeavee Sat 20-Aug-05 14:46:48

are you going as a couple?
went to one once which had a famous coupes theme - there was popeye and olive oil, which was funny (he had anchor tatoos and a tin of spinach in his shirt sleeve)

my sister once went as a pregnant nun (she was 8 months pregnant at the time) and her man hired a cardinal costume

my dp once went as incredible hulk - coloured himself green, wore clothes that were too small, ripped, with plenty of false muscles and a wig

a girl wsas once dressed as a matchstixk - cardboard body, red face/head....

madmarchhare Sat 20-Aug-05 14:49:58

Well we are, but, DH will be leaving early with DS so wont be as effective then (or at prize giving time should I say!)

MaloryTowers Sat 20-Aug-05 15:54:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

madmarchhare Sun 21-Aug-05 17:09:27

Ah thats the thing isnt it? Do you go as something where you still can look good or completely make a fool of yourself as with the matchstick idea. I must say I am leaning more towards the 'still look good' the more I think about it seen as I dont get out much these days!

Dior Sun 21-Aug-05 17:11:06

Message withdrawn

BibiTwo Sun 21-Aug-05 18:47:50

Black leotard thing, a cat-face painted on and a astuffed owl to carry around... the owl and the pussy cat.

gigglinggoblin Sun 21-Aug-05 18:53:01

my mum and dad went to one as aunt sally and worsel gummidge. she made him a false nose out of salt dough

colditz Sun 21-Aug-05 19:21:49

i would go for something you could walk home in, if you see what I mean.

purplelizzy Sun 21-Aug-05 19:39:08

I usually go for St Trinians girl/naughty schoolgirl, it's easy, you can usually buy suitable outfit form charity shops if you don't already have a white shirt, stripey tie, short school type shirt and a pair of Mary Janes. Hair in pigtails which you can back comb for that really naughty look. Plus take a satchel or music bag instead of a handbag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now