Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Nightlight musical thingy - please help me find this product!

(19 Posts)
theyoungvisiter Sat 31-Oct-09 20:23:18

Ok so I have madeup a product I wish existed and now I need to know where I can find it!

DS1 is having nightmares and I would like to find a comforting nightlight/musical type thing that he can activate himself to help himself get off to sleep.

BUT ideally I want it to be quiet, and the light part to switch off by itself, as he shares a room with DS2 and a permanent nightlight would disturb DS2.

PLEASE HELP ME O WISE MNERS! Does this such a thing exist? And it does, where might I find this fabled object?

Inghouls2 Sat 31-Oct-09 20:24:54

I saw a fisher price nightlight, music thing n Sainsbury yesterday. It was half price,,
sorry don't know much more.. I'll see if I can link it

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Sat 31-Oct-09 20:31:23

This one?

www.amazon.co.uk/Tomy-2008-Starlight-Dreamshow/dp/B00020IPDW

theyoungvisiter Sat 31-Oct-09 20:31:42

thankyou inghouls, I'll have a google but if you find a link...

I did find lots of stockists selling the Babytec Autofade Nightlight here but I'm not clear from any of the reviews whether children can activate it themselves - does anyone know? DS1 is only 3 and not very co-ordinated, particularly in the dark.

Inghouls2 Sat 31-Oct-09 20:34:07

here half price in sainsbo's £15

theyoungvisiter Sat 31-Oct-09 20:34:26

oo PCPlum - that looks perfect - but do you know if it's suitable for a 3yo to activate themselves? DO you have one?

All the amazon reviews refer to parents using it as part of the bedtime routine. I'd really like DS1 to be able to set it himself so I don't have to get out of bed quite as much grin

theyoungvisiter Sat 31-Oct-09 20:37:06

oo inghouls - that's brilliant, thank you. We have a sainsbury's near us and I will be popping in on Monday to have a butchers...

TattyCatty Sat 31-Oct-09 20:37:30

This is the answer to your prayers Baby Bear Sweet Dreams

He can activate it by either pressing the button or it will go off if he cries out. You can set it to 5, 10 or 15 minutes duration, and can have music or soothing sounds, or both. I think you can set it to not have the light on at all if you want it too.

It was an absolute God send for us, and we used it from when DD was about 6 months to nearly 3.5 years - she'd probably still have it if she had the choice, but I got sick of buying new batteries for it! It's also got money off at Mothercare at the mo. Emjoy!

ninja Sat 31-Oct-09 20:37:53

what about one of the glowing teddy/gloworm type things as an alternative?

Can cuddle to activate and lasts about 5 mins

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Sat 31-Oct-09 20:39:41

Don't have it myself, so not sure.

This one is voice activated though!

www.amazon.co.uk/Tomy-Winnie-Sweet-Dreams-Lightshow/dp/B001A32DD8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

theyoungvisiter Sat 31-Oct-09 20:41:07

[sobs with relief]

you are all sooooo wonderful! I knew you would all have the answers. Now my only problem is choosing between the options.

Ninja, what is this glowing teddy of which you speak? I know it not. (We are very low-tech here in case you hadn't noticed!)

ninja Sat 31-Oct-09 20:42:32

this

or

dd2 has one of these

winnie the poo

You get the idea ....

ninja Sat 31-Oct-09 20:47:29

or this teddy bear

theyoungvisiter Sat 31-Oct-09 20:47:48

oo blimey - so much to choose from.

My only worry with the cuddly things is that they would roll on them and set them off in their sleep - and then wake up. Do you find that a problem Ninja?

ninja Sat 31-Oct-09 20:53:24

I occasionally hear the annoying southing music in the night, but not so much now. It's never woken her up though possibly the opposite.

She's a lot younger though.

I can't say it would have been my choice of a comfort toy for her, but she loves it and when she goes to sleep cuddling it she looks like she's in an advert grin

theyoungvisiter Sat 31-Oct-09 20:57:51

I must admit, some of them would give me the heebiejeebies if I woke up to find those things glowing at me in teh middle of the night - but I presume they've done their market research and have deduced that children have less taste stronger nerves.

Oh dear, so much choice! Right... off to google and decide which is the cheapest least tacky best choice. grin

ninja Mon 02-Nov-09 08:35:08

Which one did you decide on?

HeadFairy Mon 02-Nov-09 08:40:23

ds has one of these musical lightshow things... it's got Pooh bear on it. He loves it and won't go to sleep without it. It's sound activated so if he grumbles in the night it'll turn itself on, but he's also worked out where the buttons are so he can turn it on himself (he's 2.2) If he coughs in the night etc and it turns on he doesn't wake up at all... sometimes I can hear it tinkling away and he's blissfully unaware. It does say on it that you're supposed to remove it when they are able to sit up... yeah right, ds would never let his go now!

theyoungvisiter Mon 02-Nov-09 13:31:30

I haven't fully decided yet - still researching! grin

I decided I needed to see some of them in person so I'm doing a John Lewis/mothercare/ELC trip in the hope of getting more of a feel of how big/garish/easy to operate they each are.

Will report back...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now