Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

What is your favourite London baby shop/ping area

(25 Posts)
SarfEasticated Wed 21-Oct-09 21:33:31

I'm thinking independent, nice selection but reasonable, with other nice shops and a nice cafe (oh and swings!) close by. I'm willing to travel...grin

SarfEasticated Thu 22-Oct-09 20:31:38

bump

HeadFairy Thu 22-Oct-09 20:33:20

Kensington High street... pop up to Holland park for the swings bit, lots of diff shops and cafes for food stops. Not huge on independent shops though, but ticks all other boxes.

LilianGish Thu 22-Oct-09 20:34:49

I second Kensington High Street, but would go for Kensington Gardens (Princess Di playground) for swings.

HeadFairy Thu 22-Oct-09 20:45:04

I've never managed to get in there LG... the queues have always been horrendous when I've gone. I could just have been unlucky though... shame because ds would love the pirate ship!

TheHAUNTEDHouseofMirth Thu 22-Oct-09 20:50:34

Northcote Road in Battersea. Good maternity/childrenswear, a fab toy shop and Crumpet or Boiled Egg & Soldiers v.child friendly cafes + Play area on Wandsworth Common.

HeadFairy Thu 22-Oct-09 20:56:39

HoM... I used to live on Northcote Road, I'd totally forgotten about it!! Boiled Egg and Soldiers has sadly gone now, it has been replaced by another caff but I can't vouch for the brilliance of their eggs benedict!

SarfEasticated Thu 22-Oct-09 20:59:03

I have heard great things of Stoke Newington but not very convenient to get to. Tried Muswell Hill today which was pretty uninspiring.
Kings Road was good tho, peter jones, trotters and lots of other shops, but no more Daisy and Tom...

HeadFairy Thu 22-Oct-09 21:00:18

Will you need parking? Because all of the above have expensive parking (if you're lucky you can get in to the M&S parking on the Kings Road, the first hour is free if you spend a tenner in there but it's v expensive after that)

SarfEasticated Thu 22-Oct-09 21:00:56

Hmm, thanks Haunted, is that where all the nice delis are too?

SarfEasticated Thu 22-Oct-09 21:02:28

No HF, have oyster will travel...

TheHAUNTEDHouseofMirth Thu 22-Oct-09 21:03:01

Nice everything really. Take your credit cards!

TheHAUNTEDHouseofMirth Thu 22-Oct-09 21:04:50

Also if you have a DC in need of haircut Trotters has a children's hairdresser there with child-friendly chairs and a lovely fish tank to distract them

SarfEasticated Thu 22-Oct-09 21:05:00

Just window-shopping, but it's a hobby of mine!

HeadFairy Thu 22-Oct-09 21:05:20

Oh good, but remember if you go to Northcote Road, they don't accept PAYG Oyster at Clapham Junction yet. There is a nice Italian deli there, there's also a lovely new bakery which pretty pricey, and next door to the very lovely Crumpet which is super child friendly. All Bar One on Northcote Road is very child friendly during the day too...

SarfEasticated Thu 22-Oct-09 21:06:22

My dd has just had her first haircut at Igloo at the Angel. We got a certificate and everything wink

zebramummy Thu 22-Oct-09 21:07:31

westfield has grown on me actually and the parking is good too - there's free soft play areas unless you are like ds and prefer to turn elc upside down. ds was fascinated by the living wall with the waterfalls (i think???)

SarfEasticated Thu 22-Oct-09 21:12:46

Yes Westfield has a nice range of shops too doesn't it. I was made redundant in April and have been part-time freelancing, so lots of down-time to explore.
My TimeOut shopping guide listed a shop at Archway called Little Angels Exchange which sold second-hand clothes for LO's. I schelpped all the way up there and it had closed down grrr. Nice walk in Highgate Woods though.

cleanandclothed Thu 22-Oct-09 21:35:10

Greenwich? They have a covered market (wed-sun) great for food and for browsing for presents, and a green baby shop and one that has really funky bibs.

cleanandclothed Thu 22-Oct-09 21:35:58

Forgot to say there is a playground in greenwich park which is very close to the market. And the river to stroll along.

JustAnotherManicMummy Thu 22-Oct-09 21:43:44

Turnham Green Terrace and Chiswick High Road is Baby central in the Nappy Valley.

Lots of baby shops, nice deli (Mortimer and Bennett but you'll never get the buggy in) swings on the park bit by the tube (I forget the name of it) and lots of nice shops on the High Road.

Oh, and I once saw Colin Firth in M&S there too!

janx Thu 22-Oct-09 21:51:26

Stoke Newington has lovely independent shops, great cafes, nice park....spend my life in Church street

gruber Thu 22-Oct-09 22:01:18

Sheen, you can get there on most buses. Very independent high street with friendly cafes and excellent independent baby shop (Sorry can't remember the name).

Richmond Park up the hill (5 mins with duck pond), swings right by train station. Very local and friendly there.

Spon Tue 03-Nov-09 21:52:22

I love it all around Westbourne Grove and Notting Hill, there's a Green Baby there, a Grahame and Green, Petite Aime, Hummingbird Cupcakes for morning coffee, and after you've shopped (!) pop into daylesfordorganic or 202 for lunch - have fun!

cupcake75 Mon 09-Nov-09 17:28:35

I'd try Stoke Newington. There's about 4 or 5 baby shops on Church Street including a really good toy shop. Clissold Park is at the end of the street and there are lots of good cafes like the Blue Legume. Or try Cafe Z on nearby Stoke Newington High Street. Just don't go on a Monday as two of the baby shops are closed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now