Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Please talk to me about ipods (poss a shuffle?) for 10yo DD.

(25 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Wed 07-Oct-09 09:55:09

DD said that she would like an ipod Shuffle for her birthday which is fair enough as she loves her music and we haven't a clue what else to get her anyway!

However I think shes asked for a Shuffle as she knows thats what some friends have rather than it meeting her needs or knowong anything about its features IYSWIM.

Is it a good choice for a 10yo?

What generation do I get as I've just discovered that there appear to be different ones -one with a circle on (technical eh?! wink), one without. Whats the difference?

Also, do they have a screen that tells you whats playing as I couldn't see one on the pic yet even DPs relatively cheap MP3 has one

thanks

claricebeansmum Wed 07-Oct-09 11:18:27

The iPod shuffle that my daughter had last year does not have a screen and she finds that quite frustrating. Also, she gets quite frustrated when she has shuffled her audio books in too!

TBH if you can go for the next one up - Nano - then I would.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 07-Oct-09 11:21:50

Thanks cbm

I take it that it has a non-shuffle option too?

As it doesn't have a screen does that mean theres no way of knowing what you're listening to then?

NorbertDentressangle Wed 07-Oct-09 11:26:09

I just looked at the Nano but thats £100 compared to the Shuffles £40-45 so I don't think thats an option

Tidey Wed 07-Oct-09 11:28:49

The downside of iPod Shuffles is that they do not have a screen, but they do have a setting to play your music library in order, it doesn't have to be shuffled. You pretty much just have to listen to the beginning of each song to see what it is, can be a bit annoying.

If she wants one with a screen so she can choose which song to listen to more easily, then go for a Nano. I got my 4gb one from eBay for £41, it is not the newest model but I didn't really need it to play videos so it didn't matter. I think the brand new ones start at about £100.

Bucharest Wed 07-Oct-09 11:32:24

<marks place on thread as am going to get neanderthal dp one for Christmas, and here you have a woman who hasn't finished replacing her vinyl with cd yet....> <very old emoticon> grin

NorbertDentressangle Wed 07-Oct-09 11:34:17

a woman after my own heart Bucharest grin

Bucharest Wed 07-Oct-09 11:35:41

I just worry about things I can't touch, hold with my fingers....I worry that cyberspace will implode and it will all be gone.....

<Luddite>

nettie Wed 07-Oct-09 11:36:41

We've just got DS1 ( nearly 12) an ipod touch, which is basically an iphone without the phone, its got a screen and plenty of room for his audio books an music. Plus you can get supposedly download good games for it cheaper than DS games, haven't tried this yet though! He's still happy just listening to his books on it and making strange noises with it.

Tidey Wed 07-Oct-09 11:38:31

It can also depend on how many songs she wants to put on it, as obviously the Shuffles have less space on them than Nanos, Classics, iPod Touch etc. For example, my DB has room for something insane like 40,000 songs on his iPod whereas I can only find about 700 songs I like enough to listen to grin

BudaBones Wed 07-Oct-09 11:42:20

Marking place too. DS wants an iPod for Xmas. I have a Shuffle but I don't think that would be right as he likes to know what is playing and I would like to download books onto it too for him.

Tidey Wed 07-Oct-09 11:47:21

Basically, my very humble opinion is this:

Shuffles and Nanos are for people who want specific songs/podcasts/books.

Classic and Touch are for people who want mp3 copies of entire albums.

It just seems to me to be a waste of money to pay out extra for a player with a huge amount of space if you have no use for it.

Hope that made some sense and was helpful.

hannahsaunt Wed 07-Oct-09 11:55:17

We bought ds1 a new generation shuffle for his birthday last week; he is now 9. It's 4GB so oodles of space and he has both music and audio books on with plenty of room for more. Shuffle feature is optional. There is no screen but as it's his first one a) he doesn't really know any better and b) he's chuffed to bits that he has it all. It is absolutely tiny which I find concerning but it's his pride and joy so hopefully will be well looked after. It was £56 from Amazon.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 07-Oct-09 14:50:09

hannahsaunt -I've just been reading about the "voiceover" feature on that one -am I reading it right, does each track get "announced"?.

Also can I ask a really dumb question please -can you put tracks from your CDs on there (via your computer) like you can with an MP3 or is it just stuff that you buy through iTunes ?

hannahsaunt Wed 07-Oct-09 19:42:21

Um - no idea re voiceover. I just bought the thing and have let dh do all the techy stuff. I do know that you can upload your tracks though I think you have to transfer them all to your itunes account (enormous bugbear of dh's) and it has to be some other format (other than the one he preferred).

Tidey Wed 07-Oct-09 21:09:44

Tracks from CDs get converted into AAC (rather than mp3 as I said above, oops) format and then added to your iTunes library. You can then copy them onto your iPod.

Katisha Wed 07-Oct-09 21:24:47

I recently bought DS(9) a nano. The voiceover thing means that if you press a certain button an American voice will bossily announce the name of the track. Not a huge draw IMO.
What he especially likes about the nano is that is is also a video camera and we are so technohopeless in this house that we haven't actually got one, so it's a great novelty and he and his brother have been having a whale of a time making little films.
I need to work out how to get our existing CDs onto it as well...

NorbertDentressangle Thu 08-Oct-09 20:27:12

I wish there was one in between the Shuffle and the Nano but there isn't is there?

Hulababy Thu 08-Oct-09 20:31:23

DD has our older Nano. Gave it her when we got a Classic lasy Christmas. Hers is a couple of years old now.

I prefered it to the Shuffle as it is nice to be able to have the screen to see what song you are choosing.what is playing IMO.

The Nano also fits nicely into a docking station for use in her bedroom.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 08-Oct-09 20:40:13

Hulababy -I prefer the idea of the Nano mainly because of the screen but:

a)its twice the price of the Shuffle
b) its not for me its for DD (I think I keep forgetting that bit smile)

I don't think I want to risk getting a second hand Nano either which would be another option

Katisha Thu 08-Oct-09 21:11:54

Does it have to be an iPod - what about a different make of MP3 player?

NorbertDentressangle Thu 08-Oct-09 21:17:41

I'm debating looking at MP3s too but I need to subtley quiz DD TBH.

Its just that she specifically said that she would love an iPod Shuffle - I don't think she really knows what the different features are and how they differ from other similar products but at that age (she will be 10) it can be more important to have what your mates have can't it?

At the end of the day they all play music though

Hulababy Thu 08-Oct-09 22:08:36

You could look at Apple's own refurb section though. They often have older generations at reduced prices. here are not necessarily refubrs either - often sold cheaper because of the new generation that have come out since.

fatsatsuma Tue 10-Nov-09 10:20:05

Norbert - I have just seen this thread and wonder what you decided to get in the end?

I think we are after the same kind of thing. I want the find ipods for my two dcs (8 and 10) which will play songs and audiobooks. Budget less than £50 really, so i think nanos are out of the question.

If you see this I would be interested to know what you decided to get. Am hopeless with technical stuff, so really need someone to tell me what to do grin

fatsatsuma Thu 12-Nov-09 11:22:19

NorbertDentressangle - are you out there? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now