Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Which Breastpads

(18 Posts)
GoldenSnitch Thu 01-Oct-09 20:28:36

I had a nightmare with breastpads last time. They were forever moving, especially at night, leaving me wet and often laying in a pool of breastmilk - not fun.

DD is due in December and I'm already getting the odd drip but I don't want to go buying huge packs of new pads just to find out that they're rubbish so I was hoping Mumsnet might come to my aid...

If it makes a difference, I am a 30G and, after a few initial problems with feeding, had a very fast let down which often ended in squirting milk across the room when trying to get DS positioned!! I also regularly had rock hard boobs as DS was a good sleeper.

I was thinking of trying Lillipadz but was wondering if they would work for me. I was also a little concerned that they were quite expensive as I'd read somewhere that they needed to be replaced fairly regularly.

MegBusset Thu 01-Oct-09 20:32:56

I am using Mothercare reusable ones and have found them much better than disposables (more comfy, larger and less prone to moving -- and cheaper!).

RubyBlueberry Thu 01-Oct-09 20:33:33

Lilypadz most definately! Bloody great, though itchy for first week til you wash them a couple of times...used to wash mine in the Johnson's head to toe wash that the DC's use, flap them about and leave them to dry on windowsill.

I had 2 pairs over 6 months, worked out cheaper than pads.

I ended up using the LP overnight and some washable cotton ones during the day. Also helped putting firm but gentle pressure over nipple of non-feeding boob to stop the let down if that helps at all?

littlemisslozza Thu 01-Oct-09 20:35:51

I use a towel at night - to lie on and to catch the drips from the other boob when I'm feeding. blush Saves a lot of breastpads as I only use them in the daytime then. Boots do extra big breast pads which I've found to be great when leaking copiously. Never tried the Lillipadz, would be interested to know if they're any good though!

littlemisslozza Thu 01-Oct-09 20:37:17

Cross posted! I leaked so much that washable ones were useless as no plastic backing. Had good intentions though....

GoldenSnitch Thu 01-Oct-09 20:43:33

Done some more reading up on Lilipadz - apparently, you're supposed to replace them every 4 weeks and they can't be used for the first 4-8 weeks until your milk flow is regulated. Still tempted to buy a pair to try them out cause I'm sure I'd spend more than £15 on pads in that month - assuming they work for me.

Will still need some 'normal' pads for those first few weeks though. Are washable ones a pain?

I'm not sure a towel would work littlemisslozza, I used to put one down just in case and would wake up wet and sticky when just one pad slipped from laying in milk for hours, not nice!

GoldenSnitch Thu 01-Oct-09 20:44:53

Ah, just seen your post about the washable ones not having a backing... May have a look for those extra large Boots ones...

RubyBlueberry Thu 01-Oct-09 20:47:58

Nah - I certainly didn't replace my Lilypadz every 4-6 weeks!!
I had two pairs over nine months I think, I am therefore a complete minger grin but they were washed twice a day..

RubyBlueberry Thu 01-Oct-09 20:49:29

Oh yes - I agree about waiting til your milk supply is up and running flowing, however no need to wait 3 months. IMO anyhow.

MegBusset Thu 01-Oct-09 20:50:11

I did use disposable pads for the first few weeks while I was leaking all over the shop. Switched to reusables after about 10 weeks iirc.

GoldenSnitch Thu 01-Oct-09 20:52:39

Right, so Boots extra large binnable ones for the first few weeks, then Lilipadz for as long as I manage to feed for...

Maybe a pair every couple of months

RubyBlueberry Thu 01-Oct-09 20:59:09

I got 2 pairs off a really nice girl on ebay (make sure they are the NEW style that are somewhat stickier )
Hey, good luck!

GoldenSnitch Thu 01-Oct-09 21:06:02

Thanks Ruby

Am hoping thigs go a bit more smoothly this time as I have at least a vague clue as to what I am doing! Really struggled to get things going last time and was convinced to give up at 6 months when DS stopped putting on weight.

Hopefully being a bit more experienced will ove me the confidence to ignore the helpful advice a bit grin

RubyBlueberry Thu 01-Oct-09 21:32:33

LOL!
Gimme a message if you need any support in getting started or if you get stuck! (was a NCT BF Co in another life but don't let that put you off heh heh, not sure they would approve of Lilypadz grin)

GoldenSnitch Thu 01-Oct-09 21:56:51

Thanks Ruby

I had a c-section last time and it looks likely that i'll end up with another and I've heard that can hinder things.

DS was also taken away from me for the first 2 hours of his life while I went to recovery and it was another few hours on the ward before anyone helped me to latch him on. This time, the hospital has changed thier procedures so DD can come to recovery with me and as I know how to latch, I should be able to get things going a lot quicker which I'm hoping will help.

There will be no top up formula feeds this time either!

littlemisslozza Thu 01-Oct-09 22:13:02

I had a nightmare feeding DS1 too - forceps delivery left him battered and bruised.
Had planned c-section with DS2 and was a little concerned about bf problems again but he latched on within the hour (in recovery), and it's been so straightforward this time. I'm sure the fact that I knew what I was doing this time helped!
Good luck!

GoldenSnitch Fri 02-Oct-09 07:52:14

Thanks littlemisslozza - that gives me confidence

I'm hoping my experience and tha fact that DD can come to recovery with me will help us make a better start than DS and I had.

elk4baby Mon 26-Oct-09 18:51:56

I tried disposable, I tried reusable, I tried lilypadz... nothing works at night (and it's been over 6 months). I still end up in a pool of milk [haven't tried sticking a nappy into my bra, but thought of it ]
What works for me are breast shells. I have the avent ones that came with three different kinds of 'cups' and the kind without any holes seems to work (for obvious reasons the ones with the holes, while breathable, are useless at solving the leakage problem).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now