Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

MOSES BASKET OR GLIDER CRIB??

(8 Posts)
waitingwaiting Sun 27-Sep-09 21:57:58

Hello!!
I'm sooooo undecided whether to buy a moses basket or a glider crib! so I thought I'd see if anyone can help with my decision making!!
Those of you who have a glider crib, would you say that baby sleeps better or do they wake up more when they hit their arms on the wooden sides?!! etc etc Anyone experienced both crib or basket?....
Please respond, Id love to hear your thoughts......

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Sun 27-Sep-09 22:01:45

We were advised to not bother with a moses bsket as they grow out of them so fast. So we didn't.

Then along comes teeny-tiny DS who screams the house down because his brand new sparkly crib is so HUGE.

So we bought a cheapo moses basket, and put it inside the crib. Ta-daaa.

So get both.

Iggi999 Sun 27-Sep-09 22:04:40

I'm with TTTT. Had crib. Put carrycot from pram inside it for first couple of months. DS then able to stay in crib (and next to my bed) until he was about 8 months.

ScummyMummy Sun 27-Sep-09 22:04:51

Moses baskets are nice and portable, which might be useful. If the baby likes it you can bring it along with you from room to room or even to other people's houses if you're staying the night. You can also put a moses basket in the cot or on your bed. I've never had a glider crib so can't comment. I would definitely bear price in mind though as you will get 6 months max out of a baby's first bed...

StrikeUpTheBand Sun 27-Sep-09 22:11:01

I would definitely say moses basket - because I found that DS slept much worse once he got into a cot because of the wooden sides. At least with a moses basket you don't have to deal with this at first. Also, when they are younger they can be downstairs with you in the day and upstairs at night, and it's fairly light to transport.

Then again, I had a lot more mileage out of mine with DS being a premature baby - he was 7 months before he needed to go into a cot (then again, he was really growing out of it by then!).

ScummyMummy Sun 27-Sep-09 22:12:23

May have misunderstood... By crib do you mean tiny rocking thing (same sort of size as moses basket) or a cot that will last through to toddlerhood? If the latter agree with everyone that it definitely wouldn't hurt to have both. You will need a cot eventually unless you are an absolutely die hard co-sleeper but they can seem very wee in their cots when they're first born.

Reallytired Sun 27-Sep-09 22:16:02

A moses basket can be useful for about 6 weeks. It isnt essential as you can use a cot for a newborn and if you have a pram then that will double as a portable cot.

A crib is a total utter waste of money.

I would recommend getting a nice cot second hand and a new mattress.

having had both, i would say neither. Buy an amby nest, they are so nice, they bounce/rock, are suitable from birth and last longer than a crib or a moses basket. sorry if i confused you further

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now