Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Playpens

(15 Posts)
IWantAChickAndADuck Tue 22-Sep-09 14:04:04

As I got such helpful advice about which highchair to get I decided to ask about my next purchase. I have never liked the idea of a playpen, but now DS2 has started crawing around our very open plan home my 'I'll just keep an eye on him' attitude is starting to wear a bit thin.

I like the wooden ones, but a playpen that can be a room divider would be useful...anyone have any suggestions?

Rindercella Tue 22-Sep-09 14:09:57

Playpens are fab imo. I really don't get the 'evil cage' thing - if playpens are a cage, then what does that make cots?

The one I had doesn't really fit your criteria, but DD (mostly) loved it, and I'm hanging on to it for DC2 smile

claricebeansmum Tue 22-Sep-09 14:11:14

I remember Jeremy Paxman saying he believed in playpens. He and his wife would sit in it and read the paper with a cup of tea and not be disturbed!

crokky Tue 22-Sep-09 14:33:56

Playpens are very useful. I have one for my DD (1yo) and she goes in it when I need her to. It is very useful for keeping my 3yo from hurting her (accidentally or otherwise!) as well. I have my DD's little dolly cot in there with some teddies and dollies that she plays with and also some other babytoys - she is happy in there, it's hardly a cage.

I have the hexagonal babydan one. It is a great playpen.

www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_64_10751_-1_14054_5915_10001_14054

orangina Tue 22-Sep-09 14:40:13

I had the babydan too and will be ebaying it shortly.... if you are interested, would be happy to sell to you! Where are you?

(My kids loved playing in it and would still play "prisons" in it if I let them....!)

nappyaddict Tue 22-Sep-09 14:41:29

I would get a room divider as they still allow them to crawl around. A play pen would have been cruel for my DS because he wouldn't have liked to have been in such a confined space that he couldn't move around.

Rindercella Tue 22-Sep-09 15:18:09

When DD was just starting to learn to cruise, the playpen we had was ideal - she could pull herself up, shuffle along a couple of steps and bounce down safely. That's when she particularly adored it. I particularly ordered it when I was getting something hot out the oven & DD didn't suddenly appear under my feet! smile

<no children were harmed in the use of my playpen> grin

IWantAChickAndADuck Tue 22-Sep-09 20:21:38

Nappyaddit - thats my main concern with them, I can see him getting really frustrated in it. Thing is our house is all open plan downstairs, I could divide the kitchen/dining room from the lounge but our stairs are in the lounge, with no banister to put a stair gate on. It really isn't a practical house for crawling babies!

Orangina - We're in Nottingham, is it one that can be used as a room divider as well? How much will you want for it?

Claricebeansmum - Jeremy Paxman had the right idea!!

nappyaddict Tue 22-Sep-09 20:37:29

My friend's stairs are in her lounge too. She used to block off the part of the lounge that didn't have the stairs in using a room divider.

orangina Wed 23-Sep-09 10:43:08

we're in London, so not sure I'm of much use to you IWantAChickAndADuck...

(though I think it can be used as a room divider, but the room would have to be the right size for the playpen, if you see what I mean......)

IWantAChickAndADuck Wed 23-Sep-09 10:48:25

We have friends in London that are coming to visit soon - so maybe!

BunnyLebowski Wed 23-Sep-09 10:50:23

Playpens are a bloody lifesaver.

When dd got to crawling at 7 months there was no watching her. I couldn't hang out the washing or even go for a wee without her stuck to me sad.

We got a brand new Babydan from ebay for half price and it's been fantastic. DD has been happy as larry sitting in there with her toys and books and water.

Now at almost 1 and walking she's decided it's too restrictive for her so we're going to take it down but for thes last few months it's saved my sanity!

I really don't understand why people think they're 'evil'.

orangina Wed 23-Sep-09 11:46:45

Well, let me know AChick... your friends can come and visit the playpen and decide then! I must say, mine were v happy in theirs, could never have used it otherwise. Perfect to plonk child in while going to the loo etc.

It comes w padded base, so can be made v cosy.

CAT me w your email address if you like and I'll send you photos.....

(PS: It also folds down completely and stores under bed etc, so can be dismantled etc if/when required)

CarGirl Wed 23-Sep-09 11:51:13

We also have an open plan house, with open plan stairs - nightmare!!!

I used a baby dan playpen with them (but from a very young age) and found it great especially as I didn't have to lift them in & out of it could use the gate.

bran Wed 23-Sep-09 11:55:32

The Babydan hexagonal one can be used both ways if you buy an extra wall bracket set. It's reasonably quick to convert from one setup to the other too (once you get the hang of it and stop catching bits of skin in the joints grin). The mat that goes underneath the play pen is a bit of a pain to attach, so it would be easier to just set up the play pen on a rug if you will be changing from pen to room divider quite frequently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now