Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

What do call that sticky-backed stuff you used in school to protect your textbooks?

(20 Posts)
MrsSantosisafeminist Fri 18-Sep-09 18:20:56

Well this is very geeky and bluepeterishblush. I have just spent my kids' university fund on textbooks for my new course grin I will be carting them all over the place - eg in car for reading before nursery pick up and the kids will get their sticky mitts on them, despite my best efforts. When I was at school I used a protective film which came in a roll, to cover my books. It gave them some protection. I now want to do this again but am too embarrassed to ask my tutors/fellow students in case they think I am a nerd <<which of course I am>>. Does anyone know what I mean and where I can get it? I have looked at Amazon and but nothing rings a bell.

PersonalClown Fri 18-Sep-09 18:23:42

This stuff??

JulesJules Fri 18-Sep-09 18:23:49

We used to call it tackyback, and you used to buy it from WHSmiths. No idea if you can still get it though.

Tortoise Fri 18-Sep-09 18:24:20

I got some in Wilkinsons. On the roll it just says plain clearseal. Not much help unless you have a wilkinsons!

FlamingoDuBeke Fri 18-Sep-09 18:24:23

Sticky backed plastic?

pasturesnew Fri 18-Sep-09 18:24:31

I always called it "sticky back plastic"

JulesJules Fri 18-Sep-09 18:25:27

That is the very stuff I'm remembering, PC!

GoldenSnitch Fri 18-Sep-09 18:25:42

You can get sticky backed plastic from Hobbycraft - or some Homebase's I think.

MrsSantosisafeminist Fri 18-Sep-09 18:27:09

bloody hell! That was quick for a very dull enquiry. Thank you - yes we have Wilko's about these parts - a fine establishment it is too. I hadn't thought of there but will nip in tomorrow. thanks ladies

GoldenSnitch Fri 18-Sep-09 18:27:33

Just did an e-bay search for "sticky back plastic" and it came back with this

As them to send it in plain packing and no-one need ever know your nerdy secret ;)

PersonalClown Fri 18-Sep-09 18:27:55

Good old sticky backed plastic.
I had it in varying colours on my books but not before I had doodled all over the covers and the teachers couldn't whinge because they were covered!!!wink

ThingOne Fri 18-Sep-09 18:28:49

Val Singleton always called it sticky backed plastic. So that must be the right name.

said Fri 18-Sep-09 18:29:34

Hobbycarft, John Lewis and Sainsbury's were sold out of this when I looked last week but easily found in local newsagents

VulpusinaWilfsuit Fri 18-Sep-09 18:37:11



GoldenSnitch Fri 18-Sep-09 18:37:37

Ebay search for sticky backed plastic only brought up a sticky LandRover badge though.

Dropping the "ed" brought up far more results.

Things have moved on since Val's days grin

ingles2 Fri 18-Sep-09 18:39:38

Tescos are selling sticky backed plastic atm in their back to school stationary area. I bought a few rolls for ds' school books blush

busybeingmum Fri 18-Sep-09 18:40:36

Message withdrawn

busybeingmum Fri 18-Sep-09 18:41:41

Message withdrawn

VulpusinaWilfsuit Fri 18-Sep-09 18:44:32


I'll shout shall I?

you mean FABLON


VulpusinaWilfsuit Fri 18-Sep-09 18:46:11

You can buy the clearstuff from B&Q too and lots of other types AFAIK

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: