Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Does anyone know anyone who fits stair gates?

(6 Posts)
Jasperjones Mon 14-Sep-09 08:28:00

Me and my DH are both useless DIYers and am really worried about fitting stair gates but we are now desperate and this can't be put off. Any suggestions?

LadyMuck Mon 14-Sep-09 08:36:41

Have you bought a set and looked at the instructions? Most are not actually "fitted" to the walls, but are sprung into place and you just tightened. Easier than folding down a pushchair.

Because no tools are required, you are probably best off just asking another parent to help you.

LadyMuck Mon 14-Sep-09 08:40:42

eg see here. You just put the gate across the space and tighten the 4 screws at each corner to keep gate structure in place by pressure - no drilling or actually screwing. There is a door within the gate which then opens and shuts.

Jasperjones Mon 14-Sep-09 08:41:27

I was told I need a screw fit one at the top of the stairs for extra safety and am concerned I won't do it right? My Mum gave me her two (unopened in box) when she moved from her three story house to a bangalow and have had a brief look and I thought it looked complicated. I was thinking of having another look as can't find any companies that do it.

LadyMuck Mon 14-Sep-09 08:48:53

Well if you buy a pressure sprung set for the bottom then you can try them at the top and see what you think - I presume that you must have some sort of ornate banister of something which would make them unsuitable? If you really struggle then I would look in the local paper for an oddjob man. The only companies which do this stuff are only pandering to the people with more money than sense, or possibly the truly sleep deprived.

LadyMuck Mon 14-Sep-09 08:52:03

here you go. £500 for them to come and look at your home and then provide a checklist and estimate of fitting costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now