Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

I am looking for an MP3 player that I can wear while doing couch potato to 5k please help

(16 Posts)
travellingwilbury Sun 13-Sep-09 10:35:48

I have just started doing this program and I would like to get an mp3 player to download the program and also some music for when I am just out and about .

I have no idea what I am looking for or quite frankly what they are even capable of .

Can someone please help .

TIA

OrmIrian Sun 13-Sep-09 10:41:04

I have a Samsung YPU4. Very light and easy to use. 2MB - so far I have about 10 albums, 8 symphonies and a few playlists. You will probably need to buy some sports earphone seperately as they ones that come with don't stay in whilst running. Only problem is that the battery doesn't last that long between recharging IMO. Long enough for 5k though!

Cost £29.99, plus about £8 for sport headphones. You can pay a lot more but don't need to.

travellingwilbury Sun 13-Sep-09 10:43:31

Thanks Ormirian , how long does the battery last ? I am walking quite a bit as well so would need it last about an hour and half to two hours .

That sounds like a good price , I have just been looking at the apple ones and they are scary money .

OrmIrian Sun 13-Sep-09 10:45:19

Oh longer than that. I would say more like 4/5 hours. It is a pita though as the other's I've had are longer. I often wonder if i've accidentally left it switched on hmm

nannynick Sun 13-Sep-09 10:46:37

They are extremely small these days. I have a simple one for my car... which is about half the size of a credit card (though is thicker than a credit card). GoGear 4GB MP3 - It has a rechargeable battery inside which is charged whilst you upload your songs via the USB port on your PC.
It is fairly basic in that it plays the songs, with repeat, repeat folder and shuffle facility. It has a small screen so you can select songs, see what is currently playing.
It doesn't have a clip, so won't clip on to what you are wearing... but it's small and lightweight so could be attached with an elastic band, or just put in a pocket.

OrmIrian Sun 13-Sep-09 10:46:42

here

OrmIrian Sun 13-Sep-09 10:48:30

nanny - I had one of those and I bought DH one too. They are good. I lost mine sad But I prefer the samsung now.

nannynick Sun 13-Sep-09 10:48:58

Not sure how long the battery in my GoGear lasts as although I've had it several weeks, I've not recharged it yet. Argos website says up to 27 hours.

travellingwilbury Sun 13-Sep-09 10:50:47

Thank you both of you , nannynick would I have to buy sports headphones with that one as well ?

And Ormirian I reckon 4 - 5 hours is plenty long enough , as long as I remember to charge it , I have a phone that is as pointless , I think it probably needs a new battery but I keep ignoring it .

nannynick Sun 13-Sep-09 10:52:40

The Samsung has OGG support, don't think the GoGear has that.
travellingwilbury - don't panic about file type support, most files I expect you would use will be MP3 rather than other formats.

To me all the players seem much the same. £30 will buy you something suitable for your needs, with 2GB-4GB of memory.

nannynick Sun 13-Sep-09 10:54:28

What are sports headphones?

travellingwilbury Sun 13-Sep-09 10:57:59

I have no idea nannynick , Ormirian mentioned them , I take it you manage without them then ?

travellingwilbury Sun 13-Sep-09 10:59:21

I am pleased that for £30 I will be able to get something suitable . I really don't want to be spending a load of money on this . The whole point of doing the running is so I don't have to pay for a gym subscription .

nannynick Sun 13-Sep-09 11:04:02

I plug mine into the car. It came with in-the-ear headphones... they probably are not great and you can probably get far better ones, but I expect the supplied headphones with whatever you get are worth trying... then if you feel it's worth getting something better than finding better quality headphones.

travellingwilbury Sun 13-Sep-09 11:10:16

Thank you , now all I have to do is get shopping grin

And of course keep up the running .

OrmIrian Sun 13-Sep-09 11:32:47

This sort of thing

I find the little in-ear jobbies fall out all the time when I'm running.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now