Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Can you put two child seats on a bike?

(23 Posts)
Dragonhart Mon 07-Sep-09 11:17:47

I want to cycle to take ds1 to school to cut down the travel time. I have dd2(13.5kg) and dd3 (10kg) to take with me. Is it practical to put a seat on the back and one on the front or will it be unmanagable?

I can ride on cycle paths or shared use cycle paths all the way there so it will be pretty safe.

If it is not a possibility does anyone have any suggestions? Have looked at the kangeroo bike which I love but just dont think I can justify the price. Dont really like the idea of a trailer as I cant keep and eye on them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit of a bike novice really.

cousinsandra Mon 07-Sep-09 11:20:26

how old is the biggest? how about a seat and then one of those bars that attaches a bike to the back - sorry don't know the technical term.

lynniep Mon 07-Sep-09 11:21:50

I have thought it but I dont think it is practical or safe. Whilst you are distributing the weight between back and front, you're expecting the bike frame to support a lot of weight and to balance the seats (having tried a front and rear mounted seat separately) would be pretty difficu.t
Also two of them will be very heavy for you. I think if its cycle paths all the way, then a trailer would be better.

PortAndLemon Mon 07-Sep-09 11:22:10

How old are they? DH has a little seat for DS (4) on the front of the bike and a child seat for DD (17 months) on the back, although I think it's pretty tiring when he does cycle with both on at once.

belgo Mon 07-Sep-09 11:24:47

It's very common in Belgium to have one child seat in front of the handle bars, and another seat at the back. But I have a feeling the front seats are no longer sold, as they are considered too dangerous.

What is probably safer is to have a covered trailer at the back, for one or two children.

Tortington Mon 07-Sep-09 11:25:17

my sil has one of those hook on 'third wheel' extensions for her ds to go to school

i could imagine that would be good for you to take your kid to school then you can unhook and chain at school

then you have a seat on the actual bike for your smallest one

( i hope that makes sense)

Tortington Mon 07-Sep-09 11:26:02

www.optimalride.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/trail-a-bike.jpg

Tortington Mon 07-Sep-09 11:27:07

google images it can be done!

ChopsTheDuck Mon 07-Sep-09 11:30:25

I have a tag along, but I couldnt fit a seat on the back as well as that, because the bar connects to jsut below the saddle. I'd just get a pull along trailer for the younger two to sit in. You could get wing mirrors, so you can see what they are doing, and they would be strapped in.

Dragonhart Mon 07-Sep-09 11:33:42

DD2 is 2.5 and DD3 is 12months. Dd2 is not confident enough for the piggy back type bike.

THe thing I worry about trailers is that they tend to fight a bit and if they were behind me sat side by side I worry that they will just spend the time bashing each other! Also do the double ones fit though the narrow gates they have on cycle paths?

The ride is pretty flat and no real inclines. I am tall (6ft) and not all that light so the bike would be carrying over 100kg. Is that too much to expect from a normal bike?

I also worry about when picking up ds when I am not riding the bike and the bike tipping up with them on.

Dragonhart Mon 07-Sep-09 11:44:36

Would a child seat and a single trailer work?

Dragonhart Mon 07-Sep-09 11:44:38

Would a child seat and a single trailer work?

jennifersofia Mon 28-Sep-09 13:33:22

We have a bakfiet (dutch purpose built 2 wheeled with big wooden box on front with seat for children) that I carry my 2 in. They are currently 7&8, and their weight is approaching mine. I am 5'3, and find it okay on the flat, though slow on any incline. We got ours 2nd hand, but was still expensive.
What about a 2nd hand pashley tricycle from ebay, with 2 side by side child seats on the back?
The thing I would worry about a bit would be a) the strain on the frame and b) getting them on and off without a proper kick stand.
The thing that makes the bakfiet work for me is that there is a very low step through, so if I feel at all unbalanced (which can happen if a child gets over enthusiastic) I can put my foot down.
How long is your ride?
Could you view the kangaroo as an investment? I imagine that they have good resale. We have never regretted getting our bike.

AuldAlliance Mon 28-Sep-09 13:46:19

There's this

I've been trying to find something like this for DS1 (4.6) and DS2 (who's nearly 6mths). But there are no cycle paths where I live.
If you get something that works, let me know!

AuldAlliance Mon 28-Sep-09 13:48:21

If you click on the French flag on that website there are loads more models, incl one like jennifersofia mentioned.

AuldAlliance Mon 28-Sep-09 13:49:48

This one is scary.
<<I'll stop now, honest>>

Fennel Mon 28-Sep-09 13:52:35

I used to have a front and back seat for a 3 and 1-2 year old. the front seat was Dutch, my Dutch friend gave it to me, they are very common over there. It was fine for short journeys and along cycle lanes, not so great for serious road journeys as it was quite unwieldy. I liked it though.

iheartdusty Mon 28-Sep-09 13:56:46

you said
"I also worry about when picking up ds when I am not riding the bike and the bike tipping up with them on"

I think it would be extremely dangerous to walk away from your bike with a child or children on it. It just takes one of them to push the wall away with their foot...

in a trailer they could safely nod off to sleep, and you can load it with bags as well.

it is a fair point about the narrow gates on cycle paths, you'd have to try it and see.

can you borrow a trailer for a test run?

To fix a trailer and a seat - yes, it can be done, but you need the kind of trailer that attaches to a rear frame, not to the seat post.

and see this thread

and this forum

iheartdusty Mon 28-Sep-09 14:02:29

and the trikidoo website

thehairybabysmum Mon 28-Sep-09 14:13:51

I use a trailer, on roads. Tis fab mine are nearly 4 and 2 (today!). They both love it, they choose a toy or book to take with them each day.

re fighting....i simply tell oldest that if he makes ds2 cry then no telly that night....he got the message pretty quickly!!

If you have a bike seat front and back it is physically v difficult to get on/off the bike as not much room to get your leg through. Also you have to balance the bike somehow as you lift them both on/off.

Also trailers safer for the child...if you were to fall off hte bike somehow the trailer stays upright....if you had seats then your dc likely to injure hands/shoulders etc.

The dutch family bike things look fab but i do like the fact that on the rare occaision that i whizz to shops on my own my bike is just a normal bike as the trailer unhooks. it also folds away flatish so easy to store.

I think it would fit through the gates fine, certainly no worse than the family bike things i reckon. I also worried about them being behind me but it is actually fine, i can hear them and chat to them, turn around and talk to them at lights etc...ds1 often sings us a song as we pootle through town, much to the amusement of pedestrians!!

AuldAlliance Mon 28-Sep-09 14:16:45

Quick query: I don't have a driveway or garage, only a long narrowish hallway that gives on to the pavement.
DS2 is not going to be walking for another 6 months.
How practical is it to unload the 2 kids from a trailer and fold the trailer up to store it in the hallway? I suspect not very...

thehairybabysmum Mon 28-Sep-09 14:22:00

Mine fits in a narrow shed, it is only the width of a hallway so i would say yes it will fit, though will no doubt be a bit annoying as per any large item inyour hallway.

Mine is the cheapy halfords one you can get BTW.

AuldAlliance Mon 28-Sep-09 14:36:57

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now