Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

baby walkers - good idea or bad idea?

(3 Posts)
redblue Fri 21-Aug-09 13:46:56

Any thoughts on baby walkers - I know they are a little controversial and some people think you shouldnt use them as they may be dangerous and some people think they prevent baby learning to walk independently as quickly as they should. But what are people's thoughts and if you do use one which do you use, are you pleased with it and would you recommend it and any down sides to the one you use? thanks

MamaKaty Fri 21-Aug-09 19:00:19

I don't have children of my own yet, but I've never used them with children I've cared for. I do believe that children learn better the natural way - crawling to cruising to first steps.
If you watch a baby in a walker you will see they can propel themselves along on their toes without supporting their own weight; in order to walk, they need to learn to balance their weight and use their whole weight.

Just my opinion - but I hope it's useful to you.

(Also - a 8 month old child I childmind has one and he finds it very frustrating not to be able to get close enough to furniture, people, etc! It's not much good for encouraging kids to engage with their environment!)

SomeSleepPlease Thu 03-Sep-09 16:53:06

i think it very much depends on the child. My son got very frustrated not being able to crawl about and he used a walker but only when i was cooking etc. where he had endless fun scooting about and enjoying food play in the kitchen. There are also play stations if you are worried that it will stunt their developement. my friend had the leapfrog learn and grove station. She loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now