Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Balance bikes...are they really worth it???

(8 Posts)
dal21 Wed 19-Aug-09 08:04:19

DS is turning 2 and a friend has raved about the balance bike she bought her son.

There are two models that I have narrowed it down to...

early rider bike. This is the one her son has and he loves it. Has adjustable saddle/ handlebars and steering restriction for when they are initially getting used to it.

Or micro g bike. DH loves the look of this one, we love that it is so lightweight, but my concern with this one is that it looks as though it wouldnt be as good on grass etc as something like the early rider.

I think DS would love something like this, but please let me know your experiences!

DMonabonfireinadeepdarkwood Wed 19-Aug-09 21:29:48

option c - just buy a normal bike & take off the pedals ... cheaper in the long run...

MyNameisJane Wed 19-Aug-09 21:42:22

Whoa - they're expensive!

Try Halfords - The one I got last year ended up being about £40ish

£49.99 balance bike

I bought one for dd1 last year and she keeps on about her bike not having stabilisers. She can whizz aroung the garden on her bike and I am moving on to a bike with pedals this year. One of her schoolmates can ride a proper bike because he got one without stabilisers and kept at it until he could ride.

kylesmybaby Wed 19-Aug-09 21:46:49

i got a fantastic one in lidl or aldi for £10. was all made of wood. the amount of people who asked me where i got it form.

ds learnt to ride a bike very early because of this he loved it.

PigeonPie Wed 19-Aug-09 21:50:16

My DS1 (3.9) absolutely loves his Puky balance bike which we got him for his second birthday. It was definitely worth the money as he now has fantastic balance and steering (and it will go to DS2 soon). It has meant we can go out slightly further than we might otherwise when he rides and I have the pushchair pushing DS2.

We have just got him his first peddaled bike, but have taken off the pedals so he can get used to the balance first and I then I hope he'll be away.

The only problem is that DS2 desperately wants to ride the balance bike but isn't quite big enough yet!

paddingtonbear1 Wed 19-Aug-09 21:52:56

I would say yes, they are worth it if you can find one at a reasonable price. Might find one on ebay? dd (6) still has stabilisers as she's not ridden her own bike that much (we have a trailerbike), and she's not confident. Balance bikes are a good idea imo.

dal21 Thu 20-Aug-09 07:47:57

Thanks everyone for the replies! Much appreciated! Will shop around and see what is what.

Astrophe Thu 20-Aug-09 08:05:24

we have a pukt too - great i think. DD got a pedal bike and could ride it in a day or so, DS still using balance bike and loving it, and at 3 he can already ride DDs pedal bike, although his legs are too short for it!

They are great value - not just for the fact they teach them how to ride a 'real' bike, but for the years of fun kids can have on them when they woule ordinalrily be too little for bikes.

puky is solid, not too heavy (get the carry strap to carry over shoulder), and goes well on grass or path.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now