Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

What kind of towel does everyone send with their kids when they go swimming?

(20 Posts)
Eemas82 Tue 18-Aug-09 14:50:49

I'm not sure what's best to go for, a plain towel, but then they could get a bit heavy and bulky when wet, or a towelling poncho? I was also considering one of those super light weight travel towels, but as they are a bit more expensive would have to be a bit of an investment....I know some are ant bacterial too which is good. Sorry, that was actually loads of questions!

just a towel

belgo Tue 18-Aug-09 14:51:57

I just grab the oldest towel from the bathroom, and then wash it afterwards.

SoupDragon Tue 18-Aug-09 14:51:57

A large dry one.

LadyOfWaffle Tue 18-Aug-09 14:52:26

Just one of the bathsheets.

IdrisTheDragon Tue 18-Aug-09 14:56:28

There are antibacterial towels? <mind boggles>

When we go swimming I take some small cheap ones from Tesco as DS, DD and I go together and they all fit in the bag nicely.

IdrisTheDragon Tue 18-Aug-09 14:57:08

There are antibacterial towels? <mind boggles>

When we go swimming I take some small cheap ones from Tesco as DS, DD and I go together and they all fit in the bag nicely.

IdrisTheDragon Tue 18-Aug-09 14:57:54

Bother.

EldonAve Tue 18-Aug-09 15:00:13

I was pondering this re size
I think I'm going to go for a bath towel as opposed to a bath sheet

I think a poncho would be too complicated for my 4 year old

JackieNo Tue 18-Aug-09 15:00:42

Used to be the oldest ones we had, but I noticed they really were getting very threadbare (I took them to university with me, and that was over 20 years ago, and they were pretty old then!), so I bought 2 beach towels from M&S, one for each DC. DH has one of those microfibre travel towels (which I think are not specifically antibacterial, but bacteria are less likely to grow on them) for going diving, and they look great, and are compact, but are a bit ££.

I stopped myself from putting a hmm on the end of my first post

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 15:03:09

DD is only 2 so she has a poncho but she'd never manage it by herself

otherwise we have a stash of non-matching ones: freebies, emergency beach purchases, presents etc
the regular bathroom towels (which were wedding presents) don't go swimming or to the beach

actually one of the best presents was bath sheets with embroidered names (from Studio or similar) as they are large enough to change under (v important for modest 11yo girls) but cheap and thin enough to fold up small

washed every time to prevent smells.

EldonAve Tue 18-Aug-09 15:04:44

I assumed we were talking about school swimming?

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 15:07:35

oh yes if <10yo use bath towel size

otherwise they drag on floor in puddles

GoldenSnitch Tue 18-Aug-09 15:09:05

DS is 2 and a half and has a Cuddlebug towel here

It was quite expensive but -
it's just the right length (just skims the floor at the moment so has plenty of growing room),
has a hood to keep his head warm after swimming,
is double layered to make it extra warm and extra absorbant,
is smaller than an average towel so takes less room in the swim bag - while being plenty big enough to get him dry,
is super soft and cuddly
and super cute too with the pattern and the little ears

It's not a poncho so is easy to just wrap round him when we get out of the pool and the hood means it stays on without me holding it. We swim every week and I love his towel.

abra1d Tue 18-Aug-09 15:13:21

I send the oldest one, like belgo. Usually it just gets put on the washing line for a good blow out. Every other week or so I wash it.

TaxiLady Tue 18-Aug-09 15:17:43

last time ds went he grabbed one of the dog towels blush

it was clean but they are holey!!

that'll teach me to avoid volunteering for supervision

elliott Tue 18-Aug-09 15:19:15

I'm wondering how people managed to take their children swimming before the advent of mumsnet...

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 15:30:06

I wish MN had been around before I was sent with a ghaslty flowery 70s towel from the depths of my mum's airing cupboard and had the piss ripped out of me the first swimming day of high school...

JackieNo Tue 18-Aug-09 15:32:36

MrsB - that flowery towel would probably be v cool these days :grin:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now