Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

I need an accurate, reliable digital bath thermometer - can anyone recommend one?

(16 Posts)
GoldenSnitch Sun 16-Aug-09 21:29:25

I have had a terrible run with digital bath thermometers. So far we have had;

This one - which got water in it and stopped working within the first couple of months.

Then I got this one but it very quickly became filled with black mould and was so gross we had to throw it out.

And finally, this one which worked well for a while but is now massively inaccurate. If the display reads 37 degrees, the water is too hot for even me to get into to so is blatantly too hot for my DS!

DS is now 2 and a half so I don't really need a thermometer for him anymore but we have a new baby due in December and I would feel better if I could double check the temperature of her bath - but I don't want to waste any more money on rubbish thermometers that are only going to last for 5 minutes!

Can anyone recommend a good one?

Grammaticus Sun 16-Aug-09 21:32:40

You DON'T need a bath thermometer. Just put your hand in it!

MrsGladpuss Sun 16-Aug-09 21:33:41

I have the first one, which is still going strong at 6 months... I'd have taken it back to the shop if it stopped working.

fishflange Sun 16-Aug-09 21:33:43

The underside of your wrist is pretty sensitive and your foot too!

IwishIhadtimetoreadnewspapers Sun 16-Aug-09 21:35:48

If it feels too hot then it is too hot - simple really grin

NoGoodNicknamesLeft Sun 16-Aug-09 21:36:50

i have the beaba and clean it with an old toothbrush dipped in dettol, still going strong 20 months in...

movingnow Sun 16-Aug-09 21:37:30

Bath thermometer!........use your hand!

StillSquiffy Sun 16-Aug-09 21:37:30

I found my elbow quite reliable, and it didn't grow mould after 6 months.

squeaver Sun 16-Aug-09 21:39:50

I'm with everyone else, use your elbow.

MegBusset Sun 16-Aug-09 21:40:03

Just stick your hand make sure the water is warm not hot and dunk the baby in, they'll be fine, promise!

GoldenSnitch Sun 16-Aug-09 21:43:56

Ah but then I get all paniced that it's actually too hot and I have asbestos skin or something - DH is always telling me I have the shower too hot! - and I'm quite blase about almost everything else - allow me this one bit of paranoia!

How do you get the toothbrush in the beaba NoGoodNicknames? it was too narrow inside for me to do properly even with a cotton bud!

Eemas82 Tue 18-Aug-09 14:45:14

Perhaps try one of the card bath thermometers with the liquid crystal strip as a back up? They only cost about a fiver, and they just tell you if too cold, too hot, or right....sometimes the simplest ones are the best.....less things to go wrong!

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 15:05:25

use the one you use when they're ill

FioFioFio Tue 18-Aug-09 15:06:22

i cannot believe people waste their money on crap like this

GoldenSnitch Tue 18-Aug-09 15:18:43

My money, my perogative thanks Fio!

3littlefrogs Tue 18-Aug-09 15:22:12

No, not your hand. Hands are much tougher than elbows. The best way to test the temperature of a baby's bath water is by immersing your elbow for at least 30 seconds. (Bath thermometers being so unreliable and prone to malfunctioning/flooding/leaking/breaking etc) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now