Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Bike Trailer for Baby

(8 Posts)
WidowWadman Sun 16-Aug-09 12:40:03

Most websites I found don't recommend trailer use for babies under 12 months, is here anyone who used one with a younger child?

My daughter will go to nursery when she's 9 months old and it would be immensely more practical if her dad could take her, but he doesn't drive, so it'd have to be the bike.

She's tiny, but very good at holding her head, can sit freely, and started pulling herself into standing position and even cruising. I know some children only do this at an older age, so I wonder whether she might be able to cope, even if she'll be 3 month short of the recommended age?

Also can you recommend a trailer? Can't really afford spending 400 quid, but don't want to take any risk with her safety or have the false economy of buying something that's cheap, but rubbish

Washersaurus Sun 16-Aug-09 17:57:37

Burley do a specific baby harness for their trailers I think, but have read online that people just use an infant car seat strapped in to the trailer.

I have a cheapy Halfords trailer and I don't think I would have put a baby in it - maybe something with suspension would be what you need?

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 16-Aug-09 18:02:04

I wouldn't use a trailer, but why not a seat for the back of the bike?

I can recommend the co-pilot limo.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 16-Aug-09 18:03:12

Actually the hardest thing will probably be finding a helmet for her. We had a nightmare finding one for (quite small headed) dd when she was little.

WidowWadman Sun 16-Aug-09 20:52:32

I don't want to use a bike seat, as I find this more risky, just as a gut feeling. If there was an accident she'd fall deeper, iykwim.

She tried on a helmet yesterday when we were at some bike event thingy, and it fitted fine, so that's thankfully less of a problem.

Washersaurus Mon 17-Aug-09 16:22:29

There are also XS helmets on the micro scooter website.

I think trailer is safer than bike seat if bike topples as it will always stay upright.

BikerDad Thu 27-Aug-09 00:29:33

When my youngest daughter was a baby, we put her in our Burley hard-bottomed Cub Trailer with a pillow and a blanket, and I felt she was super-safe, especially with the harness on (and I'm a bit of a safety control-freak!).
My wife and I are selling our Burley Cub Trailer.
Kids don't wanna see it go, but they're too big for it now really.
It's in almost new condition, and can be seen here.
I'll try and answer any questions about Burley Cub Trailers if asked.
Best Rgds, Dave & Julia

madwomanintheattic Thu 27-Aug-09 01:00:52

i think chariot say you can use theirs from 6 mos and sitting reliably. they do a baby support too i think, but are pricey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now