Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

3 year old too big for new trike - what to buy?

(5 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 03-Jan-05 17:50:25

My ds1 is 3.5 years old and only recently learned to ride a trike with pedals while on holiday. We went out and bought him one today and after putting it together found that his legs are too long. When he pedals, his knees are knocking against the handle. The one we got is LIttle Tikes (from argos) and says up to 4 years old.

Does anyone have any idea what I could buy him instead? I did not think he was ready for one of the kind with training wheels as he has only just learned to pedal, but maybe those are the only ones big enough?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

milliways Mon 03-Jan-05 17:59:51

My DS had first tiny bike at 3. It was v.cheap, lightweight with plastic wheels & solid tyres. Came with stabilizers. He rode it everywhere as his buggy broke and at 3 I refused to replace it. By 3 1/2 he was riding without stabilizers! (We took them off when the tiny wheels kept getting stuck in ruts at the park.) Has never looked back - would recommend it as long as you get a good helmet as well.

misdee Mon 03-Jan-05 18:02:55

try sterling house for a cheap 1st bike, if u dont want to pay out too much.

dd1 has had a bike since b4 she was 3, but has only recently learnt to peddle (she is almost 5) but her nursery says she just needs more confidence on gross motor skills. didnt help that we never had a garden till august last year.

clary Tue 04-Jan-05 09:33:03

we got dd a scooter like ther big brother's for christmas, one of those fold up ones, £15 at Argos, really good for balancing, and she loves it.
Or a little bike would be fine at this age.
I do think that trikes are a bit of a waste, nobody in our house could ride our ELC one ie manage the pedals until they were too big for it iyswim, ie rather like your experience.

Hulababy Tue 04-Jan-05 09:36:05

We have just ordered DD a bike with stabilisers (14 inch) for her 3rd birthday. The man in the bike shop recommended this rather than a trike - as a proper bike is actually easier to pedal than a treike without a chain.

BTW, DD is only just learning to pedal with a trike and struggles with it. She did better ont he bike in the shop after just a few minutes. Her birthday isn't util the start of April but buying now and putting it away until a birthday meant we got a good deal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now