Talk

Advanced search

Which is best? First time mum

(8 Posts)
Givemech0colate Tue 12-Nov-19 18:07:56

I need some advice about products; which is best, good value etc.
I'm intending to breastfeed, but will also express so dad can feed. So do I need a separate bottle warmer, or an all in one machine? And which specific product?
Also, recommendations for bottles and pumps! Thanks!

Emsy352 Tue 12-Nov-19 19:47:30

I recommend the Medela breast pump. It's a bit expensive, but I loved it.
I don't recommend manual breast pumps, they are very hard work and you don't get as much milk out as you do with an electric pump.

I used to warm up milk by placing the bottle in hot water, left it there for a little while, then I tested the milk on my wrist to make sure it wasn't too warm or hot.

Selfsettlingat3 Tue 12-Nov-19 19:49:31

Get a Hakka pump. Don’t wait until 6 weeks to introduce a bottle.

Selfsettlingat3 Tue 12-Nov-19 19:50:59

As for bottles only get one for now as bf can be fussy. mam and nuk are often liked by bf babies.

BonnieSeptember Tue 12-Nov-19 19:53:37

Hi, I've been breastfeeding for 6 weeks and started pumping around 3 weeks to introduce some bottles for my partner to feed as I was exhausted and breastfeeding was getting me down!! I got a Tommee Tippee closer to nature electric pump (main reason cuz it was half price when I was looking for a pump!) and it works well for me smile

We also got a Tommee Tippee steriliser set (again, cuz it was on offer when I was looking for one!) Which includes steriliser, bottles, cleaning equipment and electric bottle warmer. However, the electric bottle warmer is just a little device that warms up water for you to pop a bottle in, so effectively the same as using a pit of warm water to warm up a bottle smile

porridgeface Tue 12-Nov-19 20:23:07

I had an Ardo calypso which was brilliant, it's pricey but I was given a discount code from my breastfeeding group which helped.

Also recommend the haaka. I just warmed bottles with hot water

Givemech0colate Tue 12-Nov-19 20:28:51

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful!

Emsy352 Wed 13-Nov-19 11:37:58

That being said, if breastfeeding works for you, you might decide to not use a pump and bottles at all. You might find it easier to breastfeed only, as and when is needed, especially when baby is crying and wants to feed straight away. At the beginning they feed little and often.

I had to bottle feed with my first baby because she was born early and struggled to breastfeed. With my second one I have found it easier to breastfeed only, she never had a bottle. Pumping, sterilising, warming etc takes a lot of time, and I had no energy after many sleepless nights.

But you will need to figure out what works best for you as a family, and do what you find easier. 😊❤️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »