Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about this baby gift idea?

(3 Posts)
littlecuddlesnuggles Tue 10-Sep-19 14:41:54

•Hi,
I'm a Mum, Grandmother and founder of www.littlecuddlesnuggles.co.uk

I'm very passionate about quality baby products and gifts.

My second Grandson arrived a few months ago and I designed a patchwork cushion crafted from his treasured outgrown new baby clothes. Its a unique piece of art!

I would love to provide this service for everyone.

Please help me by letting me know what you think of this idea?

How much would you be willing pay for the cushion? (Price to include all postage, cushion pad and back fabric/zip.

To create a patchwork baby cushion, 9 of your favourite baby garments are required. (Cushion finished size 16 x 16")

Thanks so much
Wendie

daphine2004 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:08:43

I don’t think this is something I would personally want or pay for. I’d be touched if a family member made it, but wouldn’t know what to do with it. It’s quite big and probably wouldn’t go anywhere in particular. It would be one of those things that you’d feel like you’d have to keep forever.

Having said that, what I would find more useful, would be making a patchwork quilt out of it. It wouldn’t be as big and I think you’d get more use out of it in the long term. It would also be easier to store. I’d actually imagine it being pulled out every autumn/winter for snuggles on the sofa. Think you’d need loads more baby grows for that though. I would pay for a quilt and probably up to £50 for a single bed sized one.

Emsy352 Wed 27-Nov-19 22:24:36

Hi,

It can't be a surprise gift, because the person who wants to give this gift has to ask the parents for the child's bodysuits. And they will ask why do you need them. And it won't be a surprise. And the parents might not want one. So it will be an occured conversation.

I think you should target mothers. They are more likely to order one for their child.

I would have these options:
- cushion, maybe a smaller size (for the child's room)
- small child size quilt and
- single bed size quilt.

I don't think anybody will have enough bodysuits to do a bigger version, and it is more likely that it will be used by the child anyway, than grownups.

And lower the prices. £40 is too much money for a cushion cover. Many parents keep their baby's first outfit, and any other first items anyway.

And test your market. Maybe list it on ebay to see if people are still interested in patchwork.
Or do a few facebook ads and target mothers who have babies, to see what happens.

And also make sure your website looks really professional (compare it with other websites that sell personalised items and are well known, like notonthehighstreet, or similar).
Make sure your product description is really nice, spacing looks nice, etc.

Hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »