Talk

Advanced search

Baby bump hats, good or bad?

(16 Posts)
somanyquestions2018 Sat 18-May-19 13:21:57

Recently I bought my nearly 9 month old boy a bump hat. It's like a helmet but soft. I have added a picture in case you don't know what I am banging on about!

It's designed to protect a baby's head whilst they are learning to get on their feet! It's saved my boy a few nasty looking falls and I feel more confident in letting him explore and manoeuvre adventurously.

My sister is a mother too and doesn't like it. She thinks it could be bad for him. She said he needs to learn without it. I have been trying to give him time away from it now and again but much prefer it on!

What do you think? Good? Or bad?

Teddybear45 Sat 18-May-19 13:25:08

Bad. Learning how to walk needs to come with knocks and falls; it’s one of the earliest ways a child will build resiliency. You’re overprotecting him to the point of harming his development in my opinion.

HoustonBess Sat 18-May-19 13:25:20

Bad.

You're communicating to him that the world is a dangerous scary place and he's not responsible for learning to take care in it. Plus it looks daft.

Take steps to protect him from the worst sharp edges/corners etc in your home that could really cause damage but within a few months he'll learn to watch out for himself.

This is almost literally wrapping your child in cotton wool.

Hoppinggreen Sat 18-May-19 13:26:41

Awful, might as well bubble wrap him

meow1989 Sat 18-May-19 13:29:08

I think it's another company who have found a way to make money off of anxious parents by selling them something that they dont need.

DrinkSangriaInThePark Sat 18-May-19 13:30:58

If you want your child to be laughed at, and for everyone to think you're crazy, go ahead! Sorry but... What???!

mynameiscalypso Sat 18-May-19 13:31:37

I'm a bit disappointed that this thread isn't about hats for a baby bump.

somanyquestions2018 Sat 18-May-19 13:31:48

Thank you!

I'm all for honest advice when I am doing the wrong thing and this is my first (practice) child.

I'm not a very logical person and really did think I was doing the right thing!

Don't know what to do with them now. I would say I could give them to the charity shop but the. I suppose that's spreading the problem?

TrickyKid Sat 18-May-19 13:31:56

These are for children that have fits so they don't get head injuries!

DameSylvieKrin Sat 18-May-19 13:32:31

Bad. Falling over is important. You have to work on your ‚confidence‘ rather than buying a product. See the doctor if you have anxiety, don’t let it hold your child back developmentally.

DameSylvieKrin Sat 18-May-19 13:33:29

Xpost. And I also clicked on this expecting sun hats for pregnant bellies.

somanyquestions2018 Sat 18-May-19 13:34:38

😂 maybe I could remodel it into a hat 🎩 for a pregnant 🤰 belly 🤔

SpamChaudFroid Sat 18-May-19 13:35:19

I thought this thread was going to be about a trend for hats designed to be worn on a pregnancy bump blush

LoafofSellotape Sat 18-May-19 13:35:23

I would've bought one for ds 18 years ago when he was small. He didn't want to learn how to walk he wanted to run immediately,he was a nightmare ! He's still got an indent on his forehead after a particularly bad knock. He sort of walked head first so his balance was all over the place,never known a kid like it and we had numerous GP/ hospital visits.

Not necessary for normal kids though just my holy terrorgrin

Teddybear45 Sat 18-May-19 13:35:30

Donate them to the hospital. They might have a use with them for sick children.

itsboiledeggsagain Sat 18-May-19 15:38:00

Them! You bought more than one?
Even weirder!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »