Your balance bike recommendations please

(62 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-19 12:03:39

We're making plans to test and review balance bikes for toddlers and we'd love to know which ones you'd recommend.

If you've been impressed with a balance bike in the past two years, we'd love to hear about it. Your comments will help us to create a shortlist of bikes to test out and recommend to parents.

Also, if you have any tips on what to look out for when choosing a balance bike please share them on this thread. We'll include these comments in our buyer's guide

Thanks!

flowers

OP’s posts: |
Darragh86 Thu 23-Jan-20 10:22:24

Purchased FirstBIKE Limited Edition with Brake for my 2 1/2 son. He absolutely loved it grin. Did a lot of research and was convinced by this article cutelittledarling. Quite expensive but totally worth it !

Muthaafuckaa Sun 14-Apr-19 18:35:49

We got ds a frog bike for his 2nd birthday but he doesn't seem interested at all at the moment. Any tips on how I can get him to try it? He hates the bike helmet too

hitime Thu 04-Apr-19 11:47:53

The symths toys one comes in pink or blue, it's called Zycom my 1st bike £29.99 I think is a great price !

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/outdoor/bikes/balance-bikes/zycom-my-1st-bike-blue-black/p/151028?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1pblBRDSARIsACfUG11r8uxTGY4mLmTIdVhCvnszNEKr0wifhAF2F62bd3Rdss2NNdlGO0aArcMEALww_wcB

han01uk Wed 03-Apr-19 11:43:26

Got to be a Puky...well worth worth the money and sell on for almost as much!

TildaTurnip Wed 03-Apr-19 11:19:05

squish.bike

Squish bikes. Light and fit standard parts unlike Isla bikes so much more affordable!

Crysilva28 Wed 03-Apr-19 08:51:13

Kiddimoto balance bike..they look so easy to use and great quality for toddlers.
Just few months and i have to look for one as the summer comes😊
Would be great to try one from here though xx

welshweasel Wed 03-Apr-19 08:39:18

We’ve had a frog tadpole mini and now a frog tadpole, both have been great. We’re almost ready for the next size up with pedals.

ritzbiscuits Wed 03-Apr-19 07:42:26

Definitely the Decathlon RunRide, they do a range of them but we had this one with the brake.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/runride-500-balance-bike-blue-green-10-id_8404834.html

Excellent value for money and well made, there is no need to pay more when they are used for such a short period of time.

Nyancat Wed 03-Apr-19 06:42:16

One of ours loved the frog but the other couldn't get on with it (but has no problem with a pedal frog oddly). The easyrider was fantastic though, sturdy but light, big wheels and can get up good speed! And it looks brilliant. Older DC have Vitus bikes which are fab also. https://earlyrider.com/collections/all-bikes/products/classic

donkir Wed 03-Apr-19 06:38:38

https://www.striderbike.co.uk/bikes/14x-3-to-7-years/strider-14x-sport-balance-pedal-bike.html
We originally had a velo balance bike which was ridiculously heavy and my son just wasn't confident on it.
We bought him the strider 14x at Christmas and he loves it. He's just turned 4 and we're hoping to add the pedals in the summer. Well worth the money.

Toobuktim Wed 03-Apr-19 06:17:44

Ridgeback Scoot here - ds loves it, used it from his 2nd birthday. Has a brake too which was one of the things I wanted this time round. Can’t remember what his sister had, but she used to whizz around at speed and wrecked a couple of pairs of shoes using them as her brakes grin

drspouse Wed 03-Apr-19 04:27:46

Isla here again. We tried out 4 or 5 lent to us over a weekend once and it was the hands down winner.

Sashkin Wed 03-Apr-19 00:30:34

Woom1 - basically US equiv of Islabikes. They are available in the UK, and criminally ignored in favour of Islabikes and Striders IMO. They are lovely bikes, and small enough to fit from 18mo (unless you are a short arse like DS).

slappinthebass Wed 03-Apr-19 00:04:31

I'm just about to repaint a much older siblings PUKY balance bike for my youngest. I love that you can get the bags with carry handles. I'm much more likely to take it out for a walk if I can sling it over my shoulder. Plus rubber wheels are essential imo. Had a wooden one once with plastic wheels and a hard seat and the children were not interested.

klroberts Tue 02-Apr-19 23:23:19

We have a wooden Kiddimoto Kurve balance bike for my 2 year old. It is is fairly light compared to some metal ones and easy to control. They are well made and very sturdy. Great designs on the bikes too. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a balance bike. My son used to have one and now my daughter does

littlegecko Tue 02-Apr-19 22:39:53

chillafish.com/product/bmxie-rs/

We bought the Chillafish BMXie when my son was two. He absolutely loved it and got the hang of it very quickly.
It's a bit bigger than other balance bikes with an adjustable seat so lasted him for a good couple of years. He has also progressed straight onto a pedal bike (no stabilisers).

Pantsomime Tue 02-Apr-19 22:31:14

Underworld - google balance bike world championships- v cute but showcases how fab they are

Pantsomime Tue 02-Apr-19 22:29:12

Underworld - you need 3 skills to ride- balance, steering & pedalling. Balance is a bike with no pedals- or brakes-sounds crazy but they learn to steer while walking on tiptoes(important) on bike, eventually they can balance and lift feet off ground
Striders for us
Progressed to 1st pedal - Isla- no stabilisers, dcs just got pedalling immediately due to couple years on balance

joosiewoosie Tue 02-Apr-19 22:16:17

Stride then Strider 14x, which is bigger and has a pedal set you screw on with one screw. It's then still able to be propelled by running as it has narrow pedals, but can be pedalled easily too due to a low centre of gravity.
My little one started pedalling and riding properly within 5 mins of the pedals going on.

Beach11 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:49:23

We’ve had the Banana balance bike and v impressed. Light weight, solid wheels so don’t puncher and easy to use with adjustable seat & handles.
Very reasonable price

www.banana-bike.co.uk

Underworld345 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:43:08

Sorry to jump in on this but what are balance bikes?

I plan to get a bike for my DS 2nd birthday but not sure what is suitable...

Balance bike or just a normal bike with stabilisers? What’s the difference? Surely a 2yo can’t balance on a bike and ride it without tipping over??

Justonemorepancake Tue 02-Apr-19 21:38:27

Cruzee. Amazingly lightweight (very important for little one's manoeuvrability, plus hanging off the buggy when they're done) my kid went for miles and miles on his. Quite hard to get hold of though, or they were once I got DS' then everyone wanted one and had to import... they might have got better stock control now.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 02-Apr-19 21:22:50

Puky LRM for a 2 year old (low step through, platform for feet, simple with no brakes). Puky LR1 with brakes for a 3 year old. They are not the lightest but very comfortable and since the are indestructible, you can buy one on Gumtree for £10 and sell it later for the same price.

MsJuniper Tue 02-Apr-19 21:13:55

Puky.

stillworkingitout Tue 02-Apr-19 20:40:53

Islabikes are fab for little people, and their balance bike is very good, but the decathlon own brand balance bike is almost as good at a fraction of the price

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in