Page 2 | Your balance bike recommendations please

(62 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-19 12:03:39

We're making plans to test and review balance bikes for toddlers and we'd love to know which ones you'd recommend.

If you've been impressed with a balance bike in the past two years, we'd love to hear about it. Your comments will help us to create a shortlist of bikes to test out and recommend to parents.

Also, if you have any tips on what to look out for when choosing a balance bike please share them on this thread. We'll include these comments in our buyer's guide

Thanks!

flowers

OP’s posts: |
SpaSushi Tue 02-Apr-19 15:36:13

Strider

TeaAndCake Tue 02-Apr-19 16:45:56

We chose a Puky LR M for DC1's 2nd birthday. It was the only one small enough for him. We looked at the Islabike Rothan but didn't know at the time whether or not he would get on with a balance bike so went for the much cheaper (and smaller) Puky.

It was a massive hit! DC1 absolutely loved it and mastered it instantly. He moved to a pedal Islabike on his 3rd birthday, also with instant success since he'd gained all stop, start and steering skills on the balance bike already.

DC2 and DC3 also used the balance bike at around 2 (with a new paint job for DC3, DH decided it needed a little spruce up!) and moved on to the pedal bike at 3. We definitely got our money's worth!

There was never any need for stabilisers. Well worth every penny.

WhenDoISleep Tue 02-Apr-19 17:03:07

Isla bikes or Frog. Frog have a couple of different size balance bikes now - the small one for DC of about 18mths is so cute.

wonkylegs Tue 02-Apr-19 17:33:47

Ridgeback Scoot - we had one for DS1 but gave it away when we moved house (and although it was used pretty much every day still looked brand new) so had to get another one for DS2 who is now nearly 3
Got it because our two have quite short legs and DS started using his at 2 and many others were just too big.
Lightweight which is handy when you need to carry it but also easy for them to manage but also sturdy.
Nice bright colours, just a really lovely bike.

Nanalisa60 Tue 02-Apr-19 17:41:39

Ridgeback are great bikes for kids from balance to big kids bikes. I have bought for my granddaughter in most sizes. She was ridding with out stabilisers by the time she was 5. They are very light bikes so easy to learn to go miles with adults. (Easy to sell on gumtree when outgrown)

swizzells2003 Tue 02-Apr-19 17:44:29

We had the Bradley Wiggins balance bike from Halfords for my DS - was brilliant, very sturdy but light

Osquito Tue 02-Apr-19 18:14:31

I read a lot on balance bikes before deciding on a Strider (I think we have the ‘sporty’? one) for my son. It was a lot of money for us to spend, especially as DP was seriously sceptical/pro-stabilisers but he now says it was well worth it and recommends it (as do I).

SoundofSilence Tue 02-Apr-19 18:27:15

Ridgeback scoot. DS2 loved it.

AllTheUserNamesAreTaken Tue 02-Apr-19 18:34:58

My son had a Strider bike and it was fantastic. We bought it second hand and then sold it again once he had done with it.

Frightenedbunny Tue 02-Apr-19 19:42:53

We have had a zooom and a strider balance bike. My ds has dyspraxia and really struggled. We put him on the strider and he picked it up really quickly!

Missmarplesknitting Tue 02-Apr-19 20:21:17

Strider they're amazing

JulianDickGeorgeAndTimmy Tue 02-Apr-19 20:39:18

Isla, frog or puky

stillworkingitout Tue 02-Apr-19 20:40:53

Islabikes are fab for little people, and their balance bike is very good, but the decathlon own brand balance bike is almost as good at a fraction of the price

MsJuniper Tue 02-Apr-19 21:13:55

Puky.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 02-Apr-19 21:22:50

Puky LRM for a 2 year old (low step through, platform for feet, simple with no brakes). Puky LR1 with brakes for a 3 year old. They are not the lightest but very comfortable and since the are indestructible, you can buy one on Gumtree for £10 and sell it later for the same price.

Justonemorepancake Tue 02-Apr-19 21:38:27

Cruzee. Amazingly lightweight (very important for little one's manoeuvrability, plus hanging off the buggy when they're done) my kid went for miles and miles on his. Quite hard to get hold of though, or they were once I got DS' then everyone wanted one and had to import... they might have got better stock control now.

Underworld345 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:43:08

Sorry to jump in on this but what are balance bikes?

I plan to get a bike for my DS 2nd birthday but not sure what is suitable...

Balance bike or just a normal bike with stabilisers? What’s the difference? Surely a 2yo can’t balance on a bike and ride it without tipping over??

Beach11 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:49:23

We’ve had the Banana balance bike and v impressed. Light weight, solid wheels so don’t puncher and easy to use with adjustable seat & handles.
Very reasonable price

www.banana-bike.co.uk

joosiewoosie Tue 02-Apr-19 22:16:17

Stride then Strider 14x, which is bigger and has a pedal set you screw on with one screw. It's then still able to be propelled by running as it has narrow pedals, but can be pedalled easily too due to a low centre of gravity.
My little one started pedalling and riding properly within 5 mins of the pedals going on.

Pantsomime Tue 02-Apr-19 22:29:12

Underworld - you need 3 skills to ride- balance, steering & pedalling. Balance is a bike with no pedals- or brakes-sounds crazy but they learn to steer while walking on tiptoes(important) on bike, eventually they can balance and lift feet off ground
Striders for us
Progressed to 1st pedal - Isla- no stabilisers, dcs just got pedalling immediately due to couple years on balance

Pantsomime Tue 02-Apr-19 22:31:14

Underworld - google balance bike world championships- v cute but showcases how fab they are

littlegecko Tue 02-Apr-19 22:39:53

chillafish.com/product/bmxie-rs/

We bought the Chillafish BMXie when my son was two. He absolutely loved it and got the hang of it very quickly.
It's a bit bigger than other balance bikes with an adjustable seat so lasted him for a good couple of years. He has also progressed straight onto a pedal bike (no stabilisers).

klroberts Tue 02-Apr-19 23:23:19

We have a wooden Kiddimoto Kurve balance bike for my 2 year old. It is is fairly light compared to some metal ones and easy to control. They are well made and very sturdy. Great designs on the bikes too. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a balance bike. My son used to have one and now my daughter does

slappinthebass Wed 03-Apr-19 00:04:31

I'm just about to repaint a much older siblings PUKY balance bike for my youngest. I love that you can get the bags with carry handles. I'm much more likely to take it out for a walk if I can sling it over my shoulder. Plus rubber wheels are essential imo. Had a wooden one once with plastic wheels and a hard seat and the children were not interested.

Sashkin Wed 03-Apr-19 00:30:34

Woom1 - basically US equiv of Islabikes. They are available in the UK, and criminally ignored in favour of Islabikes and Striders IMO. They are lovely bikes, and small enough to fit from 18mo (unless you are a short arse like DS).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in