Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Perfect prep machine - pros and cons

(20 Posts)
Dueindecember2016 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:41:03

I'm after the pros and cons of the above product. If you have any comments such as 'it's the lazy way to prepare a bottle' or 'formula is dangerous' please keep these to yourself smile

daisygirlmac Wed 29-Mar-17 08:45:32

I've got one and I love it! It's so quick to make up a bottle at the right temperature, I'm particularly in love with it at 4am grin

BertieBotts Wed 29-Mar-17 08:46:08

Google perfect prep mould. Put me right off!

ineedwine99 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:48:29

Love mine, had no mold issues, i fill the tank with filter water which extends the life of the machines filter. It's so quick and lightweight to take away with you.

glitterglitters Wed 29-Mar-17 08:49:18

Not used one myself but I have seen the mound growing in family members and numerous people I know have had "reflux" babies, who when they've gone on holiday and not taken it have dramatically approved. The safety testing is apparently just electrical rather than food standard.

glitterglitters Wed 29-Mar-17 08:49:27

*mould

glitterglitters Wed 29-Mar-17 08:49:59

*improved. Christ autocorrect is not my friend today lol

indigo13 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:54:06

Apparently the hot shot doesn't kill the (potentially harmful) bacteria in the powder so id avoid

Cuntingcancer Wed 29-Mar-17 08:54:07

We have one of these and it's an absolute godsend! As with any item that uses water we clean it regularly and check the pipes takes less than 5 mins to run a cleaning cycle and give it a good wipe over. Can't imagine trying to make a bottle from scratch for night feeds. I would 100% recommend one to anybody that's going to formula feed!

Flipthebirdy Wed 29-Mar-17 08:57:42

I bought one and returned it when I realised how it worked. Nothing wrong with the machine, just wasn't really necessary.

Now I measure the formula into a bottle, add half hot boiled water and half cold boiled water from a bottle I keep in the fridge. Instant perfect temperature. Saved myself 60 quid.

Callmecordelia Wed 29-Mar-17 09:00:21

I love mine. No mould issues - we use filtered water and the genuine Tommy tippee filters.

It's the best bit of baby equipment we bought.

Semaphorically Wed 29-Mar-17 09:03:40

It does have potential safety issues but i would still buy one if I was formula feeding, everyone I know who has one loves it. I probably wouldn't use it until the baby was 2 months old though, because as PPs said it doesn't manage to kill the bacteria that may be in the powder.

phoenixtherabbit Wed 29-Mar-17 09:06:37

Love mine.

It wasn't mould anyway, it was carbon build up caused by people using cheaply filters.

Mines not had any build up but then ive used proper TT filters and cleaned it regularly. They're telling people to clean with Milton now too so I'm happy that it's clean.

It's a god send for night feeds!

Belager Wed 29-Mar-17 09:18:58

Love mine. As mentioned earlier the mould is carbon build up from not changing filters.

Dueindecember2016 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:39:43

The hot shot of water is gives, is it hot enough to kill the bacteria in the formula? Does anyone know of this has been tested?

madeleinecreek Wed 29-Mar-17 09:48:32

From http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/Statementonn_makingupp_formula%20safelyMarr_2015_final.pdf

Lots of detail in this, here's some:

"Unpublished university based research which investigated the efficacy and temperature profile of the Tommee Tippee Perfect PrepTM Machine using PIF inoculated with known amounts of Cronobacter sakazakii has suggested that whilst the machine hot shot of water onto a small volume of powder was able to eradicate more than 95% of the bacteria, it failed to reduce their numbers to an undetectable level. Whilst the machine produced water for the "hot shot" at a temperature higher than the 70oC stipulated in current guidelines, the temperature fell to around 60oC after 2 minutes. Furthermore, when PIF was added at 30, 60 and 90 seconds after the "hot shot" - the temperatures in the bottle were only maintained for around five seconds before they fell again to between 52.5 and 55.5oC.
This research showed that dependent on when the PIF is added, the water temperature may be too low to effectively eradicate all bacteria present. The volume of the initial hot shot of water used for a four ounce feed is about one fluid ounce, and it is questionable as to whether this small volume of water can adequately make contact at the right temperature with the amount of PIF added."

PIF means formula.

Redken24 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:51:58

Hi - to pp about hot shot. Read the WHO bottle making guidelines. Iv scalded myself on the hot shot. Ours is great I boil the kettles nd fill it with that. Not sure why you want one but mine has been a God send especially in the early days it fairly earned it's money then. It is really convienent in the middle of the night - easy to set up etc. Pp mentioned two kettles probably a good idea as well smile I like mine I have a hungry babe who when wants fed wants it yesterday so I have found it great. Sorry for rambling. Anyways good luck! No carbon build up in mine either.

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 29-Mar-17 10:11:56

It's incredibly expensive when you can replicate exactly what it does with a kettle and measuring hot water out.

Or you can make bottles up safely using hot water, flash cool and then store in the fridge for 24 hours. This is slightly less ideal than making up fresh each time, but still totally acceptable. You could use ready made cartons/bottles overnight for the first 2 or 3 months if you want to be even more cautious.

Flipthebirdy Wed 29-Mar-17 10:44:31

Assassinated I was going to say boiling the kettle for every bottle must cost a fair bit in electricity, though I don't know if using the perfect prep machine would be considerably cheaper. I used to put the boiled water in a flask to keep it hot enough for the next feed when baby was on every 2-3 hours.

Dueindecember2016 Wed 29-Mar-17 13:27:59

Thanks everyone. I've bought one. We are coming to the end of breastfeeding and she still requires a night feed, this will come in use to us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now