Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Stairgate help needed

(7 Posts)
MeeWhoo Tue 03-Jan-17 08:12:43

Hi,

I need help finding a suitable stairgate for the bottom of my strange staircase.

I don't mind fitting it on the 2nd or third step, but I don't see how I'm going to fit anything to the banister side as it is narrow metal with a lot of gaps and the vertical bar is not at a 90 degree angle in relation to the steps as you can see in the pictures.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

CarrotLegsWanted Tue 03-Jan-17 08:15:03

I think one of those play pens put around the bottom of the staircase will be your only bet. Lovely house though!

MeeWhoo Tue 03-Jan-17 08:25:02

Thanks Carrotlegs. Would a playpen attach anywhere?

Thing is the stairgate is for Dd's benefit, but she will be 3 soon and is quite chunky and strong.

We've never had stairs before so she is not used to them. She can climb the stairs safely but cannot be trusted to come down safely and the house is quite big so I don't trust that I will always be able to see or hear her if she decides to go upstairs on her own.

mrstomriddle Tue 03-Jan-17 08:26:09

It might be worth googling and seeing if there are any baby proofing companies near you. They can come out and assess and work out what you can do.

Other than that, like the above poster, you're only option might be a play pen.

I think there are stair gates that are fabric, perhaps travel ones? They might be an option

CarrotLegsWanted Tue 03-Jan-17 08:33:42

Three's a good age for stairs imo. When mine were younger I encouraged going down the stairs on their bottom.

Can you put a gate at the top?

Maybe put a gate on the main room?

MeeWhoo Tue 03-Jan-17 08:48:59

Thanks mrstomriddle, that would be a good option, but I'm not in the UK and I don't think such companies exist here, I'll have a Google though.

I am teaching dd to shuffle down on her bum but she is not too keen and tends to stand up halfway. The corridor goes full circle around the staircase so I can't really think of a different place to put the gate that would close off the stairs and still leave access to other rooms.

We were used to living in a flat where dd could basically go anywhere "unsupervised" so this is new territory for everyone!

NoraDora Tue 03-Jan-17 08:50:41

She's 3 get her used to the stairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now