Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

baby things in IKEA! what do you recommend?

(24 Posts)
bradleybecky Sun 25-Sep-16 19:07:24

Am going to Croydon Ikea! What do you recommend I buy for a baby? First time mum over here! smile am getting a changing table, and some storage cupboards....anything else?

NotAPuffin Sun 25-Sep-16 19:19:07

The Antilop is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best highchair ever invented.

MinnowAndTheBear Sun 25-Sep-16 19:25:28

Oh yes, the Antilop high chair is great. I use the food bags a lot too, now that DS is weaning and I'm carrying about a bowl/spoon/bib with me. The bowls/cups/spoons are really nice. The flannels for 30p each mean you have enough to use a fresh one every time. If baby will be here before Christmas they do some nice wooden toys.
As they get older, the bathroom step, potty and toilet seat are all good.

Ida3456 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:28:47

Yes, the high chair! It's fab.

I've also been v happy with our ikea cot & mattress.

loveulotslikejellytots Sun 25-Sep-16 19:30:33

Big pack of flannels with the coloured tags. I use one to dry dd after her bath. Easier than faffing about with the towel!

The wooden toys are quite nice. The wooden kitchen is really sweet but dd is still to young!

MrsAukerman Sun 25-Sep-16 19:30:55

Sleeping bags and muslins are good.
Their normal cot is good and you can take one side off to butt it up to your bed to make a make-shift co-sleeper cot that you can then use as a standalone cot.

vimtoqueen1 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:30:56

The toys when they are abit older are great as well - ours love the fruit and veg and the shopping basket - all soft !

welshweasel Sun 25-Sep-16 19:38:00

Cot. The blue rectangular hooded towel (much better than the square ones). Muslins. Sleeping bags. High chair. Do you really want a changing table? I've never seen anyone actually use one. Generally just use the floor if downstairs or bed upstairs.

timeforachangeithink Sun 25-Sep-16 19:39:33

Another vote for the Antilop, it's brilliant.

bastedyoungturkey Sun 25-Sep-16 19:42:43

The inflatable changing may with the towelling cover. I'm sure people on here will suggest otherwise but I thought it was great. Perhaps I'm a bit pfb but DD was born in one of the coldest winters in ages so was good to have something on top of the mat, and the covers just went in the washing machine.

divafever99 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:44:45

Antilope highchair with tray. They come as two separate items.

BriocheBriocheBrioche Sun 25-Sep-16 19:44:52

The wooden play arch that they lie under and grab is really good.
Third the antilop, so easy to clean and can be used right up to the table.
Also like the bowls/plates/spoons all so cheap and last really well.

RattieOfCatan Sun 25-Sep-16 19:50:12

Everything! I love the IKEA baby stuff. I have loads of it, no baby yet though hmm grin

We built our stuva wardrobe the other week and it's really good. Our crib is going up in the next two weeks and we're going back to buy a few bits we were dithering on next weekend. The towels are a great size, a lot of the soft toys are nice too and wash well. The cot linen is all nice and bright and also seems to wash well. I've bought lots of the toys for kids I know and they've always been well received and last well too.

spacefrog35 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:53:53

They have little stripy soft toy cats that rattle. My DD adores hers as they are one of very few toys she can easily pick up chew/ make noise with! Their bibs etc for weaning are excellent too.

tattychicken Sun 25-Sep-16 19:57:55

Hooded towels, antilop highchair, baby flannels, plastic bowls/spoons/beakers. Lovely little quilts too, great for playing on and for the cot when they were older.

dlnex Sun 25-Sep-16 20:09:16

The flannels are brilliant.

MinnowAndTheBear Sun 25-Sep-16 20:09:52

I've just come back on this thread to say that actually you should just buy one of everything.

redheadbarmaid Sun 25-Sep-16 20:09:52

Never bought anything myself but ds was given the stripy soft cats as a gift and absolutely loved them!

bradleybecky Sun 25-Sep-16 20:10:11

thanks for the tips ladies! will look into those things...yes i'll need a changing table (bad back) this is the one im thinking of getting:

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/baby/changing-tables-nursing/sundvik-changing-table-chest-of-drawers-white-art-90256727/

that nappy bit folds back so hoping it would come in handy... - i was considering a normal chest but thought it would be awkward standing sideways...up against a wall - plus can dangle things off this one...

helenatroy Sun 25-Sep-16 20:22:07

Place marking. As going there this week. Will respond

n0ne Sun 25-Sep-16 20:33:14

Cot, mattress and bedding all fab. Love their soft toys. They also do great sleep sacks. And play mats. Oo, and the soft toy chest that looks like a travel trunk.

comeagainforbigfudge Sun 25-Sep-16 20:46:53

We got this for same ad bavk reason! Was brilliant. Until the madam learned how to sit up at 5 months so on the floor we went sad

Anyway, i agree, everything is good. We have a few wooden toys. Stacking rings are my dd's favourite. We also have the wooden arch which is great.

Just be prepared to want to buy everything you see! wink

katiegg Sun 25-Sep-16 21:08:13

ds's cot came from ikea. Think it was £70 or there abouts, including the mattress. Their cot sheets and mattress protectors have been good buys too, always wash well and two years in are still in pretty good
condition.

Their sleeping bags are also supposed to be very good, although I've never used them myself.

Another vote for the antilop high hair, an absolute bargain!

ImNotAFlower Sun 25-Sep-16 21:14:32

The green and white patterned muslins are FANTASTIC. I have been known to make an hour round trip because the last one was stained beyond cleaning.... I obviously them spent the obligatory £50 more on candles while I was there hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now