Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Can anyone with sky answer this

(14 Posts)
als30 Thu 11-Aug-16 13:42:05

Ive been with virgin media for ages even in my old house have now moved to sky as couldn't get virgin at new place
I used to turn the wifi modem off with virgin at night and when we went out mum does it too
Set up my broadband yesterday and all was fine turned it off before i left for work and turned it on when i came back but it was dropping in and out changed the microfilter over as i had phoned sky every thing seems ok touch wood as ive left it on while out but do i need to have the sky hub on all the time

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 11-Aug-16 13:43:48

Why do you turn off the WiFi?confused

We just leave it on all the time.

als30 Thu 11-Aug-16 13:50:28

Just something we have always done especially when going to bed lol

LittleCandle Thu 11-Aug-16 13:52:53

Its better to be on all the time, as updates can be done at any time of the day or night. They don't usually tell you about updates, so you're not really aware of them. So yeah, leave it on.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 11-Aug-16 13:54:49

all the time we have changed suppliers they say to leave it switched on for a few days to settle, and so they can check the line and suchlike,

other than that it's never off....the sky box on it own takes ages to deign to restart if it is turned off for any reason...so I'd never turn that off unnecessarily.

LewisAndClark Thu 11-Aug-16 13:57:12

Ha my BIL does this. Turns everything off at the mains except the fridge.

It's a very old fashioned way of doing things.

They're designed to stay on all the time.

als30 Thu 11-Aug-16 13:57:51

My sky box is getting set up on sat wouldn't turn that off always kept the virgin one on lol

KittyKrap Thu 11-Aug-16 13:58:45

My DM does this. Turns everything off then unplugs it all. You're fucked if you come down in the middle of the night and can't find a light.

I have sky, the wifi is on all the time.

als30 Thu 11-Aug-16 14:12:52

Just the way i was brought up lol everything got turned off apart from the virgin box house phones fridge freezer

As for turning the wifi off just never seen the point of having it on while asleep or out of the flat lol might keep it plugged in and ask the guy on Saturday about it

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 11-Aug-16 14:48:59

It's not good for your wifi to keep disconnecting it. The network tries to stabilise, and if you're turning it off frequently, it won't do it well. This means you'll likely get a worse connection than you normally would.

Long ago it was standard practice, but it's really not advisable now. You could turn the Sky box off, if you wanted, although that's not really necessary either - and it'll mean you'll have to do updates when you want to watch your TV, rather than overnight, but it's better to turn the Sky box off than the router!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 11-Aug-16 15:06:58

On the occasions when we've had power cuts it's really messed around with settings etc so definitely leave it on!

als30 Thu 11-Aug-16 15:15:29

Ill start keeping it on just need to get used to it been on all the time ive actually switched it off as i type (old habbits lol) as im out the flat for a while but definitely be leaving it on when i get back

iknowimcoming Thu 11-Aug-16 15:33:05

Yep definitely leave it on all the time. My DH is an IT bod and his parents drive him batty with the amount of problems they have with their wifi, largely due to the constant turning off and on. We never turn ours off and never have any problems smile

als30 Thu 11-Aug-16 15:35:53

Thanks will do when im back in
Just that used to turning it off lol x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now