Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Over friendly parents

(9 Posts)
Homosapiens Sat 07-Nov-15 16:13:59

Hi.
My 5year old dd started school not long ago. She was invited to go and play at a classmate's house- lovely!

The mum (who I have spoken to three times only) offered to collect My daughter from our house so I could do other things but I said I was happy to take her to their house, for a couple of hours to play. Not long after we were there, the mum said something about putting the spare car seat in her car and that she and her husband would take my daughter out for a bit and drop her back at our house. At this point alarm bells started ringing and I'm not sure if I am being completely oversensitive. It's just that I don't know them and don't understand why they felt the need or that it would be appropriate to take my daughter off when I had brought her to their house and stayed there plus it's twenty minutes for me to drive home. I managed to drum up an excuse but it's obviously something they had planned.

Does anyone else think this is a bit odd for a first play session with someone you've only just met?

GloriaHotcakes Sat 07-Nov-15 16:15:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Homosapiens Sat 07-Nov-15 16:19:05

Thanks. Mmm. Now I have to make a plan for how to avoid play invitations for the next few years. Small school. Any ideas?

00100001 Sat 07-Nov-15 16:23:55

Just be busy each time

Finola1step Sat 07-Nov-15 16:24:29

My ds was about the same age when he started going to play dates without me staying. Previously, I would take him and have a cuppa with the other parent as they would be my friend too. Once he had settled into Reception, play dates became more like friend's parent picks up both children after school, go home for play and tea, dh or I would pick up about half 5ish. We would also do the same with friends we had invited over. We still do now that ds is in Year 3.

DD started Reception this term and is starting to go to the odd friend on our road after school. We do live in a very small school catchment area so lots of us live within a few minutes walk of each other. Maybe this makes it different. I have to say, it is generally easier to have other children over without having to host their parent as well.

Apologies for the long winded reply. Just a thought, where were they going? Soft play, park?

DamnCommandments Sat 07-Nov-15 16:26:51

Not completely, but maybe a bit young and odd not to mention it. My Y2 child has just changed schools and been taken to soft play and also out for pizza on two different invites. I WAS asked both times though.

Finola1step Sat 07-Nov-15 16:27:08

Forgot to answer your question! Yes, I do think it was a little odd that they had planned to take their dc and your dc out. If it was a long standing friendship, different story.

Homosapiens Sat 07-Nov-15 16:35:07

Didn't ask them where they were planning to go. It was only suggested when I was there with them- that's what I found odd. It was just a bit determined somehow- I had said yes to a couple of hours of playing and assumed that meant me staying too, as I was there!
Maybe it was a misunderstanding but I wouldn't leave her with anyone I didn't know at 5 although I would leave and have left her with people I know.

Homosapiens Sat 07-Nov-15 16:48:34

...I guess there are ways round it. Yes we can be busy for invites there but their DD can still come to us to play. Perhaps as time goes on I'll get to know them and will feel differently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now