Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Homeopathic treatment for reflux

(121 Posts)
babynotburp Fri 02-Jan-15 10:06:34

My 15 week old has pretty bad reflux. He is growing well and reaching all his milestones but I'd love to be able to help him.

The doctor suggested infant gaviscon but I wasn't keen due to the constipation.

Someone said you can get a homeopathic remedy from boots which works well.

I can't remember the name of it. I think it started with a c.

Has anyone tried this and had any success. Was it also easy to administer?

Thanks xconfused

ArgyMargy Fri 02-Jan-15 10:08:43

Sorry OP but homeopathic remedies don't work. If you're not keen on him taking medicine you could ask for dietary advice or research other aspects of his lifestyle.

mupperoon Fri 02-Jan-15 10:12:55

To be fair, the placebo effect of a pointless homeopathic remedy may make you feel better, even though it will have no effect on your child.

SweepTheHalls Fri 02-Jan-15 10:14:05

Why would you give your child in pain a sugar pill?

babynotburp Fri 02-Jan-15 10:34:01

I'm really not sure how any of these responses are kind or helpful. I'm struggling with my child and your prejudices mean that you think it is appropriate to be mean. Thanks so much.

Aghaidh Fri 02-Jan-15 10:37:12

OP, I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. There is no evidence that homeopathic remedies work, and you have a little baby who is in pain, which must be very difficult for you both. Homeopathy won't help either of you here I'm afraid.

SunshineAndShadows Fri 02-Jan-15 10:38:36

It's not mean to say that homeopathic remedies don't work or that the placebo effect may make you feel better if big your child.

This is fact backed up by medical evidence. Why wouldn't you want to help your baby by giving him something that works instead?

ArchangelGallic Fri 02-Jan-15 10:40:16

I'm fairly sure homeopathic medicines aren't tested....

However, are you thinking of gripe water or coleif which both help with wind?
Gaviscon didn't make my child constipated but it only eased symptoms for a couple of weeks. It was only the ranitidine that worked, as prescribed by paediatrician.

MrsCakesPrecognition Fri 02-Jan-15 10:41:05

I would be following my GPs advice in your situation. If constipation becomes an issue, there are steps you can take to help resolve it.

Branleuse Fri 02-Jan-15 10:41:11

try nux vomica. either the 30c or the 6c
chamomilla 6c might be soothing too x

MildDrPepperAddiction Fri 02-Jan-15 10:43:15

OP you will get a lot of posters saying it doesn't work etc and tbh a random over the counter remedy may not work if not suited to your baby.

If you want to try it go to a qualified homeopath.

For all the naysayers there are lots of people who have had great success with homeopathy but they are usually too nervous to post as they will get shot down and ridiculed (as I no doubt will now).

Branleuse Fri 02-Jan-15 10:44:37

youre brave posting about homeopathy though. Massively controversial in the uk. Very very popular in europe and im very grateful for it.
You will get those ^^ responses every time its mentioned though. Obviously theyre all very clever and know all about science and stuff ;)

babynotburp Fri 02-Jan-15 10:47:16

Thank you for some at last helpful suggestions. Honestly. People are so unkind. Is it better to pump my baby full of drugs or try something natural? The doctor actually said not to use the drugs unless we felt it was absolutely necessary. So I am following his advice.

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 02-Jan-15 10:47:30

It can't work. There is no active ingredient. It has been tested. See Ben Goldacre's book Bad Science or Simon Singh's Testing Treatments.

MildDrPepperAddiction Fri 02-Jan-15 10:49:15

Do what YOU feel is best for your baby.

Good luck babynotburp smile

Aghaidh Fri 02-Jan-15 10:50:42

Again, not unkind. Your baby is in pain. Is it better to treat the pain with things that have been proven to work, or administer a substance with no evidence behind it whatsoever besides a placebo effect.

Branleuse Fri 02-Jan-15 10:51:03

if you dont believe in homeopathy then the thread really isnt about YOU and how clever and scientific you are. Be happy. Dont use homeopathy treatments if you dont want to, and please, dont let the door hit you on the way out

Branleuse Fri 02-Jan-15 10:54:00

if you make up a pot of fennel and peppermint tea with just the normal herbal teabags and a little raw unprocessed sugar then that could be quite soothing too. Sort of homemade gripewater.

Aghaidh Fri 02-Jan-15 11:03:04

Sugar water (as in the homemade tea suggested above) could be very bad for your baby, as it restricts their immune system and artificially raises their insulin levels. Their digestive systems are not developer enough to cope with it I'm afraid. That's not me being clever and scientific, that's just the way babies are made.

HouseWhereNobodyLives Fri 02-Jan-15 11:15:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Branleuse Fri 02-Jan-15 11:16:26

a tiny bit in a teaspoon or two of fennel tea is not going to hurt anyone, but its purely to make the tea palatable. It can be left out but a nearly 4mth baby would be fine with it

GraysAnalogy Fri 02-Jan-15 11:17:52

No-one is being mean or unkind, in fact they're being kind to your baby by telling you that homeopathy doesn't work.

HouseWhereNobodyLives Fri 02-Jan-15 11:19:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Branleuse Fri 02-Jan-15 11:20:10

Theres nothing wrong with standard treatment. Its a bit of a misconception that people have to only believe in one or the other.
Often people use homeopathy or herbal remedies as a last resort when doctors help has failed. Im sorry your mum is feeling regretful over things.
I dont think that attempting to treat colic with something natural is anything like neglect though.

GraysAnalogy Fri 02-Jan-15 11:20:47

And it's nothing about being 'clever' Branleuse, it's about stopping a child from suffering from reflux. I've had it for years and it's terrible and can have a huge impact on babies, weight loss, acid erosion...

So forgive people for trying to help the OP by telling her not to waste her time, or her babys, by using methods that have no evidence of their effectiveness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: