Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

nursing cover - gimmick or essential?

(21 Posts)
cantbelieveimonhere Tue 02-Dec-14 19:46:56

I've been breastfeeding for two months. After being unwell I'm now ready to drive and get oout and about. Baby is feeding well, but I just can't master feeding discreetly.

Q - are the cape/covers useful?
Can you still see baby easily?
Is anything exposed or is everything covered?
Any difference between brands? (Online £9-£30)

cantbelieveimonhere Tue 02-Dec-14 19:47:51

*out

Superarchie Tue 02-Dec-14 19:52:08

I used mine a lot. I'm not particularly shy, and can feed discreetly, but it meant that I was comfortable feeding wherever and whenever (such as tube where seats face eachother).
I don't use it much now (8 months) as I think I'm past caring, but for those early months when baby fed a lot it was invaluable.

ChristmasJumperWearer Tue 02-Dec-14 19:52:32

I bought one with DC2, but didn't use it, and instead stuck to my tried and tested method of wearing a big drapey neck scarf every day and using that when needed. Or just a muslin if I forgot.

If you really want to try one, have a look on eBay at the Faye and Lou ones, the butterfly.

But a neck scarf would be my suggestion. I still wear the scarves now, long after finishing breastfeeding.

cantbelieveimonhere Tue 02-Dec-14 21:02:50

Which do peeps prefer - "apron" style e.g. bebe au lait or "shawl" style?

cantbelieveimonhere Wed 03-Dec-14 07:44:10

Bump

cantbelieveimonhere Wed 03-Dec-14 07:49:38

Another question - how do you wind your baby while wearing a nursing cover? Can't see this on any youtube demos

UNDER or OVER the nursing cover?

bearwithspecs Wed 03-Dec-14 07:50:27

I used my big floaty cardigans or a Muslin. I only know one person who had one, but it's a personal choice. Try bf out at a playgroup or similar where it will be common first until you build your confidence

Tigresswoods Wed 03-Dec-14 07:51:10

In my opinion a scarf or muslin will suffice.

quesadillas Wed 03-Dec-14 07:51:15

I had an apron one and loved it. I felt much more comfortable with it. Mine was about a tenner from Amazon.

cantbelieveimonhere Wed 03-Dec-14 08:41:53

Ideally I would prefer to just use a big muslin, but I still like to be able to look down and see baby, gnd I just don't seem to have enough hands. Any tips?

worldgonecrazy Wed 03-Dec-14 09:00:34

Back when I was breastfeeding I went out with DD for lunch with my parents. There were several mums breastfeeding. I only noticed this because I was looking for it and was doing it too. The only breastfeeding mums who were extremely noticeable were those wearing the big aprons. I think it's far more unnoticeable to feed without one, or with just a scarf to hide any bits of tummy on show.

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 03-Dec-14 09:18:56

I am a very 'discreet' feeder. Like that woman in Claridges who made the news. But I have a Bebe au lait. They have a loop at the top so you can easier see baby and breast. I can't get on with giant muslin at all. I only use the cover when going out with male friends or relatives. It saves them the embarrassment on not knowing where to look.

magpieginglebells Wed 03-Dec-14 09:19:52

I agree that it is much more obvious with a shawl. I just use a scarf or a muslin but so far no one has batted an eyelid.

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 03-Dec-14 09:20:14

I mean I don't mind people knowing I'm breastfeeding at all. I usually go without cover. Strangers can just not look!

ZenNudist Wed 03-Dec-14 09:22:32

IMO they are silly and unnecessary, a way of parting new mums from their cash.

Just use a scarf or a muslin. One less thing to carry around.

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 03-Dec-14 09:27:50

zennudist I could also say scarf and muslin are unnecessary. I carry neither and I don't normally use a cover. What's wrong with just babys head as cover? That's what I nornally use.

But the OP wants to consider one and Id say they are better than a scarf. What's the use of a Muslin really?
The difference between a no cover is that you can put baby in front of you with the cover over baby and still see clearly your breasts and babies head. They have a metal loop at the top for viewing.

fruitpastille Wed 03-Dec-14 09:28:16

I was given a second hand bebe au lait one. Used it a few times but agree a scarf is actually easier and looks better. I only really needed it while faffing with nipple shields and breast pads. While baby is feeding there is nothing to see.

fruitpastille Wed 03-Dec-14 09:31:46

To be honest even with the metal loop it wasn't that easy to see baby. I would tuck boob away and wind baby in full view at the end of a feed ( or pass to someone else to do it if poss!)

ByTheWishingWell Wed 03-Dec-14 09:33:54

I never bothered with one, but used a muslin in the early days while I was still building my confidence. I wore a vest top under my top, and pulled my top up and the vest down, so there was no exposed tummy. If I wanted extra cover I tucked the corner of a muslin into my bra strap on the side DD was feeding, so I could drape it around her so that there wasn't any side-boob on show. A scarf probably does the same job while looking much more stylish!

MrsCaptainReynolds Wed 03-Dec-14 09:39:20

I prefer to wear a nursing vest under a long sleeve t-shirt. Bra and vest come down under boob, t-shirt comes up. No tummy on show, and no boob once baby latched. A casual checked shirt on top, open, assists with obscuring any side view. This is my breast feeding uniform and is far more discreet than any cover I tried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now