Talk

Advanced search

Buying gifts for sister in law in Australia

(8 Posts)
reallybusymummy Thu 20-Mar-14 09:21:59

Around this tgime of year I descend into a very mild panic about sending soimething lovely to my sis in law in Australia, which doesn't cost the price of the item to post it/risk disappearing in the post. I have been thinking about getting her a magazine subscription this year. Red Magazine I thought, lots of varied content...but guess what they send to every country except Australia. I am scanning through other magazines to see if this is a one off, but any other ideas welcome. I have bought her clothes from Sea Salt, casual Jewellery from Boden, stuff from Notonthehighstreet. She's a Brit living out there. Ideas very welcome

moshiksss Thu 19-Jun-14 06:21:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

whereisshe Thu 19-Jun-14 06:29:21

I try to send everything that needs to go to family in Australia 3 months in advance by surface mail, it gives me more flexibility on weight. Doesn't help you this year though!

Would she like Frankie if you want a magazine? Or an amazon voucher if she has a kindle? Or a local spa day?

WhatSheSaid Thu 19-Jun-14 06:36:43

Book? They are fairly expensive in Oz and the Book Depository do free shipping

www.bookdepository.com

RunningOutOfIdeas Thu 19-Jun-14 06:38:57

I use Australian websites to avoid postage costs. Eg. simply gifts or gifts Australia. You can also get gift vouchers online for their shops - Westfield vouchers can be used in loads of places.

BikeRunSki Thu 19-Jun-14 06:40:40

Please try and pursue with the magazine. The British people I know who live abroad love uk magazines!

Thumbwitch Thu 19-Jun-14 06:52:35

IWOOT does quite reasonably priced shipping to Australia, I've found. M&S, only costs around £10 shipping too.

I don't buy into the whole shipping presents around the world thing, the cost of the postage annoys me entirely too much, so I buy the presents from my family for DSs here in Australia, and they buy the presents for my nieces for me in the UK, and we swap funds as necessary. The only problem of course is that everything is so much more expensive here! (not just books) But that's the price you pay <hollow laugh>

The Westfield shopping vouchers is a good idea though, lots of shops to choose from. smile

reallybusymummy Fri 21-Jun-19 11:38:49

Thank you so much. All ideas have been tried x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »