Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Windows 8 would you recommend?

(16 Posts)
nutcasenan Wed 05-Mar-14 19:54:30

Heard that Windows 8 is a devil to come to grips with. I have a Windows 7 laptop and an I Pad which I love. I have thought of Apple macpros but since they removed the 15 inch with the 500 gbs and replaced it with solid drive smaller capacity models I am left with the 12inch as only possibility. Windows laptops are cheaper and have bigger screens. Can anyone help out with your experiences with Windows 8 and Apple? I would be grateful for any input as my technology is at an entry level only.

tinyturtletim Wed 05-Mar-14 21:56:52

I got a new laptop which has windows 8 on and I despise it.

I downloaded and paid for something called start8 which basically converted it to windows 7 as there is nostart menu. Windows 8 is based on phones and tablets...not useful on a laptop

nutcasenan Wed 05-Mar-14 22:16:20

Thank you. My worst fears confirmed. I will nurse my aging windows 7 and attempt to afford an Apple - probably cheapest 12inch if they still do it. Hope my eyesight stays up to the job. Hope you get on with start 8. I am impressed with your ability to change something so easily which convinces me that if you can't hack it I certainly can't.

CocktailQueen Wed 05-Mar-14 22:21:03

Hi I've just got a new PC running windows 8.1 and it has been much easier to get to grips with than I had thought!! It's only switching off and moving between programs that is different. Almost all new pcs are running windows 8. I'd bite the bullet and go for it!

Breezy1985 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:23:53

I got a new laptop with windows 8 at Christmas. I hate it and can't get to grips with it and just put it in the desktop mode.

DC find it easy to use they are 8&9, though it's touch screen too and I don't like that either. I'm rubbish with technology.

fortyplus Wed 05-Mar-14 22:25:55

I thought Windows 8 has been withdrawn because so many people were complaining about it?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 05-Mar-14 22:28:37

I have Windows 8 on both my phone & laptop. On a phone, or other touchscreen device, it is great. On a laptop it is truly shit.

yesnoyesnoyesno Wed 05-Mar-14 22:30:40

Windows 8.1 put some things back that people were complaining that they missed. I haven't paid for any extra programs but I've configured it so it's pretty much like windows 7. There are guides online telling you what settings.

minsmum Wed 05-Mar-14 22:35:04

I wish I had seen this before. My new laptop arrived today and I am trying to get to grips with windows 8. It doesn't help that I am tired and grumpy

Hassled Wed 05-Mar-14 22:35:05

I loathe Windows 8 with a passion. Absolutely hate it. Will research start8 - thanks.

RustyBear Wed 05-Mar-14 22:48:14

There's really no need to pay for stuff to 'convert' Windows 8, just update to 8.1 (a new laptop may have this already) and you never need to see the 'metro' side of windows at all, you can set it to start up in classic desktop mode. (Go to the desktop, then right click a blank bit of the toolbar and select properties. On the navigation tab, tick When I sign in..... Go to the desktop instead of Start, then click OK. Restart you pc and it will give you the desktop straight away.

8.1 doesn't have a start button exactly like win7 but you can easily put a shortcut on the desktop which will give you a list of all your programs - right click on the desktop, select New- Shortcut and type C:\Windows\explorer.exe Shell:AppsFolder in the 'type a location' box, type a name, such as All programs and click finish. You can change the view in this folder so it gives you a list or icons and it effectively gives you a start menu on your desktop.

You can also put a shutdown button on your task bar - use the steps above, but type shutdown /s /t 0 in the location box. Once the shortcut is on your desktop, right click and choose Properties-Change icon. Say OK to the warning about no icons in the folder and choose the icon you want from the box that appears - the usual power button one is there, but you can have any one you want.
Then right click again on the shortcut and select pin to Taskbar and the power button will stay on the bar at the bottom of the screen

Hassled Wed 05-Mar-14 22:50:23

Rusty - you're a star. Thank you. Tomorrow I will officially Sort This Bleeding Laptop Out.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 05-Mar-14 22:51:58

I have windows 8 and can't cope with it, have no idea how to use it and it is poor. it doesn't do what you want it to and I can't do what I need to.
Would not recommend.

Theas18 Wed 05-Mar-14 22:55:31

Windows 8? - awful. Had it a year, hated it it. Eventually got the 13inch MacBook Air and love it loads. It just works yknow.

RustyBear Wed 05-Mar-14 22:58:19

Dh now never uses the metro bit on his laptop - I have a desktop PC and I switch between the two. My PC does have a touchscreen, but I find I still use the mouse a lot of the time without problems. I hate the metro version of internet explorer, so I always go to the desktop for that (except occasionally if I'm reading a long webpage when the uncluttered screen area is nice)
I mostly use the metro side for games and checking email - the email app has a really good feature where if you're reading an email with a link, the link will open in the right hand side of the screen, so you can read it without coming out of your email and then go on to the next one.

nutcasenan Thu 06-Mar-14 14:59:51

Thank you everyone. Great feedback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now