Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Books for first timers...

(4 Posts)
SirCharles Sun 23-Oct-11 23:59:06

My DH & I are first timers still in the first trimester. What books did you find useful/informative/hilarious on pregnancy, babies, baby names etc? Ones to avoid?

We won't have our families to hand so any recommended books would really handy!
Thanks

GoreSplattersHouse Mon 24-Oct-11 00:03:16

I had the conception, pregnancy and birth book by Mirriam Stoppard. Was useful to me in my first pregnancy. There are myriads of books IMO ask on this site if you have a really pressing question, you may get answers that differ but thats because no pregnecy or child is the same. Good luck!

BertieBotts Mon 24-Oct-11 00:10:43

I loved Kaz Cooke's The Rough Guide to Pregnancy. Ended up lending mine to a friend.

If you want to breastfeed, avoid "What to expect when you're breastfeeding" by Clare Byam-Cook. It's awful and full of incorrect advice.

If you want to breastfeed AND like the idea of routine, bear in mind that nearly all of the popular "baby routine" gurus, Baby Whisperer, Contented Baby, etc etc have quite dodgy breastfeeding advice in them and while the routine advice may be fine, take the bf info with a pinch of salt and look elsewhere.

Love the Sears Baby Book, but tends to be a bit attachment-parenting leaning, so will probably depend on how you lean yourselves.

SirCharles Tue 25-Oct-11 22:54:58

Thanks for the tips <heads straight to amazon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now