Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Gift ideas for my MIL in Germany

(25 Posts)
MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 10:15:56

MIL is having a shitty couple of weeks.

One of her oldest friends died of cancer, another has just been told that her cancer has returned, and a third close friend has just lost her daughter-in-law at the age of 44yo.

She is normally a cheery woman, always smiling and laughing but this has all hit hard. She tries, but I can hear that she is near tears when we talk on the phone.

I would like to send her a gift, but cannot think what to get her. She likes chocolates but often regifts things like that (not cause she is mean, but she thinks that she can cheer someone else up so passes on the nice present).

She doesn't go to the theatre or cinema, cooks but is not really interested in cookbooks etc, is not a reader.

She doesn't like ostentatious luxury items.

Am stuck. Any ideas?

It needs to be sendable to Germany.

ShirleyKnotFrotGrot Thu 15-Sep-11 10:22:43

Does she like tea?

Teapigs

I am obsessed with them. Best. Tea. Ever.

MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 10:25:46

She is not a big tea drinker, sadly. But that website is great. <bookmarks>

ShirelyKnotSHIRE Thu 15-Sep-11 10:32:53

OK.

<thinks>

um....Pajama's? I know that sounds weird but I LOVE getting new jamas. LOVE IT.

Weather's going to start changing you could get her a lovely pair of warm jim jams.

I love pj's. Did I mention that?

Also I managed to get all my words for PAJAMASESESES in one post.

PelvicFloorsOfSteel Thu 15-Sep-11 10:33:29

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Does she have any hobbies and interests?

I'm thinking a scarf and gloves because Germany can get cold in winter but possibly something a bit more inspired is needed...

(Trying to think of brilliant acronym for posting in right section deserving useful responses and failing on several counts)

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 10:40:39

I was feeling nice scarf as well.

ShirelyKnotSHIRE Thu 15-Sep-11 10:45:44

Good
Users
Select
Sections
Enabling
Terrific
Solutions

MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 10:58:28

lol at GUSSETS

Scarf could be good.

She is a BIG fan of M&S, actually. They always go to M&S when they are in UK, and they deliver to Germany. Good idea.

Shirley
I think you will find they are called pyjamas

And she only wears horrible flanellette nighties.

ShirelyKnotSHIRE Thu 15-Sep-11 10:59:57

FINE!

<flounces>

<SLAMS DOOR>

<SOBS LOUDLY>

<LUTHER VANDROSS>

MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 11:04:23

<pats Shirley's head>

There there, dear <DavidCameronPatronisingEmoticon> No need to get your babydolls in a twist.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 11:12:11

Loving GUSSETS.

ShirelyKnotSHIRE Thu 15-Sep-11 11:13:49

Flanellette nighties have their place. It's just that their place on me always happens to be just underneath my tits.

Fleece pYjamas though?

oh yeah.

MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 11:35:05

Ok, was browsing M&S and came across this which I don't like, cause it is two different patterns, but a cake stand would be good.

She likes to entertain.

mousymouse Thu 15-Sep-11 11:37:37

whereabouts is she?
they have nice spa's (Thermen) all over germany. maybe a pampering day out would be nice for her (and her two friends?)

MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 11:39:35

That would be great, but she is not a spa-going type.

A nice lunch with friends, maybe.

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 15-Sep-11 14:30:50

"She doesn't like ostentatious luxury items." "That would be great, but she is not a spa-going type."

Yay Gods, this sounds like my mum - so hard to buy presents for.

Here, it is not the budget that counts, it truly truly is the thought (and the effort). Does she have some favourite things that are low-cost - eg favourite coffee, favourite chocolate bar, favourite magazine? So a care package, basically. M&S cashmere socks? Or 'cashmillion' if cashmere too swanky?

Or could you make a cake to her and have that sent? Do you have willing DC's to draw her a lovely picture?

And def a nice card is called for with kind words.

Poor her and nice you.

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 15-Sep-11 14:31:25

er, Ye Gods, not Yay! Gods!

Elsjas Thu 15-Sep-11 14:39:26

A tapestry kit? Would be something to take her mind off her troubles and she would end up with something to keep at the end of it.

PelvicFloorsOfSteel Thu 15-Sep-11 14:41:18

Loving GUSSETS (in this context, not just randomly loving them if any clarification is needed).

If she loves entertaining then what about a mini blowtorch so she can do creme brulees at the table? In a similar vein to the cake stand, lace cake cases?

MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 15:35:18

Hazel
Exactly, it is difficult to buy gifts for her as she either hands them over to someone else or puts them in a cupboard.

I don't mind spending a bit of cash, but not if she is going to regift the present.

Yes, will get the DC to make a card, and I am going to talk to DH about us perhaps going to visit in the October hols. That would make her happy.

Good idea, with a M&S gift box. Will have a look at what we could put in it.

PelvicFloor
She has been making the same sponge/quark/kiwi cake as long as I have known her (20 years) so I don't think she would know hwat to do with cupcake cases etc. They are really pretty though.

Dammit, you are not supposed to be tempting me to buy stuff for myself. grin

beepbeep Thu 15-Sep-11 15:44:48

How about finding nice place for lunch for her and either buy vouchers or contact them and see if you can book a table for her and friend and say you'll pick up the bill? Did this for my parents once when they were on holiday.

ImpyCelyn Thu 15-Sep-11 15:47:06

My MIL (French) also loves stuff from M&S. I always include a large box of shortbread when I send stuff from there.

The cake stand is lovely. Do they have any other nice homey bits? A vase or a nice fruit bowel?

I once sent MIL some egyptian cotton towels, she was thrilled - so thrilled in fact that she saved them for a special occasion and didn't used them hmm We discovered that this summer, and she has now conceded that she is unlikely to need to save them for a presidential visit, so they're in circulation finally.

ImpyCelyn Thu 15-Sep-11 15:49:02

Good God - do not send her a fruit bowel. I cannot even begin to imagine how awful that would be.

A nice bowl perhaps, with optional pot pourri (M&S seem to love that stuff).

I'm so ashamed blush

MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 15:56:31

lol at bowel

YY, that is the kind of person my MIL is, she would keep the towels for a special occassion.

LongWayRound Thu 15-Sep-11 15:59:12

Does she have a garden/balcony? Could you send her a nice plant/bouquet by Interflora? (being careful with the flowers used... sorry don't know what plants should be avoided in Germany in these circumstances)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now