Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Bike for a 4 year old boy

(8 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Wed 31-Aug-11 09:25:12

Hi

Can anyone please recommend a bike for my 4 year DS? He has got a balance bike and I think it's now time for him to move to a pedalling bike. Went shopping for a bike at the weekend and overwhelmed at the choice available. I will need a 14" bike frame.

Ideally I would like a bike that is not too heavy.

Thanks.

mistlethrush Wed 31-Aug-11 09:33:21

I bought a 14" from an NCT sale for my ds at that age - and he got a 18" bike for his 5th birthday - new one which will last him a bit. Had a weekend of having to help him get going each time he started (starting with pedals not as easy as on balance bike) but fine after that - and the good balance means that you can give them a boost by pushing their back rather than having to bend down to the bike which is much easier grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 31-Aug-11 09:43:23

We had a Puky which has lasted DS and has now been passed onto DD, much to her delight. The children's Ridgebacks are supposed to be very good too. We bought ours from Sideways, webside is a bit weird but they know there stuff.

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 31-Aug-11 10:00:25

mistlethrush what is the brand of you bike?

Jilted Puky pedalling bike is around £150 shock
He does have a puky balance bike but definitely can't afford the upgrade. I am hoping to find hom something around £100 mark.

mistlethrush Wed 31-Aug-11 10:10:51

we got this bike however, I should say that ds is fairly tall for his age - and although we got this for him at 5 I think that the normal age recommendation for it is a year or two higher.

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 31-Aug-11 13:35:06

Thanks Mistlethrush. I'll check the link now.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 31-Aug-11 17:50:24

Puky was £75. Think they must have been on special offer. DH nearly fainted when I spent the £75 but even he has had to admit it was a good buy. We didn't buy him a balance bike either, we took the pedals off Puky and he used that. Later we added the pedals and stabilisers and then took the stabilisers off on Barmouth beach and let him learn on the sand.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 01-Sep-11 12:11:55

Thanks for your recommendations.

I think that we will be getting him Dawes 14" Blowfish bike.... it's £100 flipping pounds though!

Reason that I like it is beacuse it is a light bike (7.5kg = same weigh as islabike).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now