Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Rear mounted cycle carriers - come on Mumsnet, I am relying on you!

(4 Posts)
Donki Sun 03-Jul-11 15:17:10

I want to get a rear mounted cycle carrier for a Skoda Fabia Estate 2010, to carry a child's bike (24" wheels) and an adult's bike. I would rather not have to faff around with a lighting board (we would need to get a power socket fitted for a lighting board).

Any suggestions?

BikeRunSki Sun 03-Jul-11 15:36:35

Oh yes. We have a 2010 Octavia Estate, and lots of bikes!

You are better off with roofbars if you do not use a roofbox (assuming your Octavia has roofrails fitted). They are much easier to take on and off the car, and don't scratch the car to buggery (which rear mounted racks do). Much lighter than rear mounted rack, and no difference in fuel economy.

Thule are the market leader in bike racks and you really do get what you pay for. If you look on their webiste you can search the racks that fit your car.

However, we have just replaced our Thule rear-rack (DH drove under a height restirctor bar into a car park at speed and buckled it, not to mention his bike) with Mont Blanc roof rails and are very impressed with them. Similar quality but cheaper than Thule (as a Skoda driver you might appreciate this!). We keep finding useful features. Both the Thule and Mont Blanc lock to the car and bike.

We got both the Thule and Mont Blanc racks from Ski Drive - we found the model we wanted on Thules/Mont Blanc websites, then googled then and Ski Drive came up cheapest both times. Excellent service from Ski Drive too.

Thule website

Mont Blanc website

Donki Mon 04-Jul-11 21:03:47

Thankyou BikeRunSki

I was looking at the Saris RS - which reviewers say don't scratch the car if you clean the contact points of car/carrier. But I don't know if it will fit a SKoda fabia Estate.

I worry about dropping one of the bikes onto the car whilst lifting it onto a roof mounted carrier.....

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Jul-11 22:06:07

I wouldn't worry about dropping a bike putting it on the roof, unless you are very short. DH usually does it, he is 6'2", when I do I sometimes use one of DS's plastic steps.

All the rear mounted racks say they don't scratch, but I have yet to meet one that doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now